June 2, 2018

The Streak continues for Ray Stevens...

For those that do not follow weekly music charts or aren't too familiar with them they represent the sales or airplay of all kinds of entertainment product. The charts are always published to reflect the previous week and so if you look at any of the charts in any detail you'll see the familiar phrase "for the week ending" and it'll have the day of the week posted. From the week ending May 18, 1974 to the week ending June 1, 1974 the number one single on the pop chart in America was "The Streak" by our favorite, Ray Stevens. That's a total of 3 weeks at the top. Even more impressive is the fact that it had only been on the Hot 100 less than a month before it reached the top. The single also hit number one the week ending June 1, 1974 on Canada's pop music chart and it was also the top selling country music hit in Canada this week in 1974 which resulted in it hitting number one for the week ending June 8, 1974 on their country music chart. In the United Kingdom "The Streak" hit number one for the week ending June 15, 1974. I'd also like to take this time to reinforce my respect and overall love for Ray's music. I find myself doing this whenever I find myself blogging about "The Streak" or "Ahab the Arab" and the reasons are obvious. It's because those two songs are the most polarizing of his career. There's extreme emotion regarding each song...either people despise those songs, in particular, with a passion or they love them with a passion. Obviously without my having to point it out I fall into the latter category. I love both of those songs...but yet I know there's segments of the population that can't stand either song and all anyone has to do is visit social media sites and see the contempt.

Since "The Streak" was coming off it's third week at number one in 1974 (a fact brought up in one of those 'This week in Music History' kind of posts) it's invited a lot of snide remarks by a whole host of people on social media. Who knew such a harmless slice of lyrical silliness could carry such eternal damnation from people? Well, anyway, that's my little rant about the hateful critics of "The Streak" and of Ray Stevens in general. I'm pretty sure most of you that read my blog are fans of Ray anyhow and perhaps agree with my sentiments so I'm more or less preaching to the choir.

I title this blog entry after the song, obviously, but I also title it as such because the career of Ray Stevens remains one of the longest in entertainment history (60 years and counting...). Although Ray remains busy and active at his West Nashville entertainment showroom, CabaRay, he'll be performing at this year's CMA Music Fest. I made mention of that a couple of blog's ago and more than likely I'll make more mention of it as it gets closer to June 10th (next Sunday). In addition to his performance of the National Anthem he'll also be interviewed in a 45 minute interview session. The interview is expected to highlight his 60 years as a recording artist but it'll no doubt also include commentary about the CabaRay and his television series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...