August 7, 2018

Ray Stevens on the BBC in 1971...

Hello once more!! Several blog entries ago I shared a video clip or I posted a link to one which featured Ray Stevens singing "Can We Get To That?" from an episode of Top of the Pops. The video clip I'm about to tell you about in this blog entry is from the same time frame but a different program. This time around it's a half hour series titled BBC In Concert and it's from May 10, 1971. It was uploaded onto YouTube yesterday and I found it this morning while browsing YouTube for anything new...and how surprised and excited I was to find this!! I am posting a link to the video clip because I don't want, in the future, to visit this blog entry to find a big blank square where an embedded video should be. A lot of my older blog entries feature that kind of thing where video's have been removed from YouTube and I'm left with a "this video's been deleted" disclaimer blazing across the blog entry and so I'm providing a LINK to the video. If, at some later date, you click that link and a video doesn't show up then you'll know why I didn't embed it. However, for now, it's on-line so enjoy it while it lasts because these kinds of videos usually vanish within a year's time.

The current studio album from Ray Stevens when this BBC television program aired was Unreal. The album featured a couple of hit singles that are a product of the time period...one of those singles happened to be "America, Communicate With Me" which for obvious reasons wasn't performed on the BBC program simply because the subject matter didn't apply to England. That hit single, nevertheless, became a Top-20 hit on the Adult-Contemporary chart right around this time of the year in 1970. Looking through archives of Billboard Hot 100 and Adult-Contemporary charts from July, August, and September of 1970 show "America, Communicate With Me" being the first hit single from the album. This BBC program, as mentioned, aired on May 10, 1971 and both "America, Communicate With Me" and "Sunset Strip" had run their course on the music charts by then. "Sunset Strip" was issued as a single in the fall of 1970 and reached it's peak by November. In a lot of my past blog entries I've lamented that I'd never seen Ray perform "Sunset Strip" on any television program but yet with this BBC program I was finally, at long last, able to see him perform it on television. As I was watching the video clip and heard the music intro to the song start to play I gasped in excitement. I thought to myself "oh my God!! Is he really singing this???". I savored the entire performance. Whenever I watch it again I'll zero in on other details because there's probably a lot of little things I missed the first time around considering my excitement over seeing this entire program. In addition to "Sunset Strip" he also performed "Can We Get To That?" and "Loving You on Paper" (all three from the Unreal album). The other songs he sang were previous hits: "Ahab the Arab", "Mr. Businessman" (he tells a story about it that I'd never heard before); "Gitarzan"; and "Everything is Beautiful".

You may be wondering why Ray didn't perform a certain song that was a huge hit for him in the United Kingdom in late 1970 and into 1971 given that he was performing for a British audience on this BBC program...but then again you should already know the answer as to why it wasn't performed. "Bridget the Midget the Queen of the Blues" became a Top-5 hit for Ray in the United Kingdom early in 1971...but it's a novelty record focusing on an act that requires a sped-up vocal and even though Ray, in 1971, was using the most advanced recording equipment and technology available at the time I don't think a performance of the song in a concert setting was something anybody wanted to try and tackle back then. It's a pure one hundred percent novelty record built around using the sped-up gimmick Ross Bagdasarian (a/k/a David Seville) used on "The Witch Doctor" and later on when he created The Chipmunks.

Enjoy the 1971 BBC performance from Ray Stevens!! Here's the LINK once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...