November 11, 2018

10th Anniversary of my Ray Stevens blog...

Although technically this fan created Ray Stevens blog reached it's 10th anniversary last month I never posted much, if anything that I can recall, about it...I certainly never created a blog entry spotlighting the fact...but today I was doing my usual on-line searches and surfing and decided to take a look in the archive section of this blog. Seeing that I never posted a blog entry specifically celebrating (?) the milestone I decided to title this blog entry as such even though I'm not going to be spotlighting my own previous blog entries. This fan-created blog was created by me in 2008 to spotlight, celebrate, inform, teach, and show appreciation for all things Ray Stevens to anybody that happened to come across the blog during their own surfing of the internet. In addition to those reasons one of the main reasons for the blog's creation was to confront on-line inaccuracy pertaining to Ray's career, highlight the inaccuracy on this blog, and then correct whatever inaccuracy I happened to come across in my on-line searches. I've never pushed the blog on anybody and the promotional effort is next to non-existent on my part. Whenever I post a blog entry I'll share a link to a social media site but then that's it. I don't over saturate social media sites with links to my blog. I'm well aware that I could possibly have thousands upon thousands of hits and clicks but I prefer the low-key nature that I've enjoyed the last 10 years.

Speaking of anniversaries and milestones...this particular vinyl album from Ray Stevens hit 40 this year. There are some internet sites that state 1977 as the year this project was released but I've never seen any vinyl image showcasing that to be accurate. The vinyl copy I have clearly shows 1978 as it's year of release. On the back of the album cover (which I don't have a photo of) and located on the lower right hand side gives 1978 as the year this album was released...and so I don't know why there's some sites out there giving inaccurate information...but there again that's one of the reasons I began this blog 10 years ago. There is so much inaccurate information surrounding the career of Ray Stevens that I felt inspired to create this blog to combat all the inaccuracy I'd come across. This album is titled There Is Something On Your Mind and it's a covers album where Ray performs his versions of Rhythm and Blues songs. The writing you see above the album's photo is Ray's introduction/commentary as to the reason for the album. On the back of the album Ray gives his thoughts about the songs and offers extensive, music-oriented commentary on the recordings. The album is unusual in the fact that there are only eight recordings...a far cry from the standard 11 or 12 that was typical for LP's of that time period. Although there are only eight recordings three of those are medley performances and so as far as the length of time is concerned it runs pretty close to the average 11 or 12 song LP. The songs that get the Ray Stevens treatment are:

Side One:
1. Dance Trilogy ("Do You Wanna Dance?", "When You Dance", and "Save The Last Dance For Me")
2. Talk to Me
3. One Mint Julep
4. Old Faithful Trilogy ("Shake a Hand", "Since I Met You Baby", and "Always")

Side Two:
1. Money Honey
2. Banned In Boston Trilogy ("Sixty Minute Man", "Work With Me Annie", and "Annie Had a Baby")
3. Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash
4. There is Something on Your Mind

In 1995 Warner Brothers issued a three volume collection of songs recorded by Ray Stevens during his three year stay at the label (1976-1979). In the credits contained in those 1995 releases it states that the recordings found on this 1978 album were previously unreleased. At the time I didn't have any of Ray's vinyl albums and I didn't know the names of any of his albums prior to 1984 and so I thought the songs credited as previously unreleased meant that they had never appeared on any album until 1995. To this day I don't know why those 1995 compilation albums (Cornball, Do You Wanna Dance?, and The Serious Side of Ray Stevens) inaccurately stated the recordings from this 1978 album were previously unreleased.

Tracks two and four on Side Two of There is Something On Your Mind weren't included in the three volume 1995 compilation project. As a result I never heard those two recordings until I obtained the 1978 vinyl album for my personal collection at some point in the early 2000s.

One of the overlooked aspects of the album was the lack of a lengthy roster of musicians. If you look at the musician credits you'll see that Ray, Reggie Young, and Jack Williams played on every recording but then you'll notice that on two of the recordings credit for the drummer is split between Jerry Kroon and Jerry Carrigan while acoustic guitar is credited on two of the recordings to either Johnny Christopher or Mark Casstevens.

Mark Casstevens and Jerry Kroon are credited on two of the eight recordings as acoustic guitarist and drummer respectively ("Old Faithful Trilogy" and "Money Honey"). The musicians for the other 6 recordings consisted of Ray (keyboards, piano, synthesizers, percussion, background vocals), Reggie Young (electric guitar), Jack Williams (bass), Jerry Carrigan (drums), and Johnny Christopher (acoustic guitar).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...