January 6, 2022

Ray Stevens: The Outpouring of Sympathy Continues...

Hello all of you fans of Ray Stevens!! The outpouring of sympathy continues on various social media sites in the days following his wife, Penny Ragsdale, passing away on December 31st. I'm going by the numbers on his Facebook page alone and ever since it was posted at 2:25pm on January 1st that Ray's wife passed away on New Year's Eve it has generated 45,678 reactions, so far. In total there are over 15,000 comments. A reply left by Ray's social media staff at 2:50pm on January 1st which features a collage of Ray, Penny, and family has gotten 140 replies. Those 140 replies are part of the 15,000+ comments. I made a couple of early comments on January 1st. The visitation, in case you didn't see my previous blog entry, will be on January 11th from 1:30pm to 2:30pm Central time. Afterward there will be a Celebration of Life conducted at 2:30pm Central. It's such a terrible loss. I didn't personally know Penny or do I personally know Ray but as a long time fan of Ray Stevens (more than 30 years and counting) and as a blogger of his music career I've known of them for many, many years even though Penny herself kept out of the spotlight. 

I was at a loss for words when the news broke on January 1st that she had passed away. When you've spent so many years as a fan of Ray Stevens you sort of condition yourself to be light-hearted and in an up-tempo mood most of the time. Yes, I know Ray has a very serious side and he's put it on display on many albums, but nearly all of the time whenever I see Ray he's always smiling and upbeat, and so when things like this happen I struggle to find the right things to say because it's so sad and devastating. I'm hoping everyone impacted, on a much more personal level, will be able to grieve in peace. As fans of Ray Stevens we can feel sad and feel sympathy for what he's going through. There hasn't been any official message posted on any of his social media since January 1st. I'm making an assumption that we probably won't hear anything from Ray or see any updates on his social media until January 11th or a day or two afterward.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...