May 13, 2019

Ray Stevens: Grand Avenue Follow-Up...

Hello once more...I've been on kind of a blog entry spree of late...I can't remember when I've written as many blog entries in such a short span of time. A month ago I wrote about the final moments that Ray Stevens and his office staff spent inside his recording studio on Grand Avenue in downtown Nashville. Ray had posted some photos on his social media sites of a small send-off party from inside the recording studio. I titled the blog entry '45 Grand (Avenue) Years' due to the fact that it opened in 1974 and it closed this year, 2019. You can read that blog entry by clicking HERE.

Several days ago a local television station in Nashville aired a report on the changes taking place on Music Row and the reporter delivered her story in front of Ray's partially demolished former recording studio. Her report was taped in the evening/night hours and so you couldn't see the background too well but within her report they aired footage taken during daylight hours.

The Music Row projects that have been taking place over the last several years, as I touched upon in several blog entries late last year and earlier this year, have polarizing impact. The preservationists get enraged and disgusted whenever a building that carries historical value is demolished whereas those that want modern facilities, which they argue carry a potential of luring business to the area, feel the older buildings turn off investors and entrepreneurs from attempting to do business in downtown Nashville.

The report that aired on WKRN carried more of a slant toward the preservationists and I only say that because the story featured commentary from a preservationist without offering commentary from someone involved in the construction of any of the new property. There's a video clip and there's also a transcript of the report. I couldn't get the video clip to play on the WKRN webpage but what I did was right click over the video and copy the incredibly lengthy URL code for that particular video clip. I pasted the code in an e-mail I sent to myself and was able to watch the video without a problem. Once you click the link check and see if you're able to watch the video...if it plays without a problem then it was a technical issue/glitch associated with my laptop.

The only thing I would change in her report if I had the ability to is for her to mention that she's standing in front of the partially demolished former recording studio and headquarters of Ray Stevens. In her report she says that the recently demolished studio was a building "where icons like Ray Stevens worked"...but in reality it was Ray's studio on Grand Avenue and he was the only recording artist that worked there. The photo below is a visual glimpse at what the recording studio looked like on the corner of 17th Avenue and Grand. In fact the recording studio took up most of the area but this is just a small thumbnail image. The studio sat on the corner of 17th Avenue South and Grand Avenue. It's a series of one way streets, though. Music Square West turns into 17th Avenue South depending on which direction you're traveling and Grand Avenue intersects with Music Square West. The entrance on 1707 Grand Avenue featured a business sign next to the front door that read Ray Stevens Music. A small alley is next to that former entrance. An entrance on 17th Avenue had a larger sign which sat on the lawn that read Ray Stevens Group. In fact, I'll post an image showing a wider shot of this side of the building later on.


The property had been for sale for a couple of years. When my brother and I went to Nashville last year (March 2018) we drove through Music Row and I went by Ray's recording studio and we saw the For Sale sign in the yard. To this day I wish I would've had him pull the car off to the side so he could get my picture taken in front of the studio but I was too scared. Why? It's because I didn't want someone from inside the studio to perhaps run out and say "what's going on here??" and I turn around, look, and see Ray Stevens or Buddy Kalb, or both of them, standing there!!! I'd be paralyzed with fear if that would've ever happened. So, I never had my brother take a photo...but of course there's photos of his former studio on-line and I saved a couple of the images months ago because I knew it would be torn down at some point to make way for the new multi-story development.


The photo above is what the studio looked like from the angle of 17th Avenue South/Music Square West and Grand Avenue. Research shows that Ray previously owned a number of other buildings in the area along 17th Avenue and Grand which were part of the recent sale a couple of months ago. I knew he owned numerous buildings in and around Nashville but I didn't realize most of them were situated on Music Row. Anyway, a company known as Hall Emery purchased all of the property Ray owned. The sale occurred in the latter half of March 2019 and last week it was demolished. The 1707 Grand Avenue property was purchased in 1973...but wasn't used until 1974. The property, like most of the buildings, resemble houses that were converted into recording studios and publishing companies. Ray added onto the property buy purchasing adjacent and neighboring property so that half of the block turned into Ray's recording studio and offices...and then, as I learned, he purchased numerous other properties either alone or in partnership with Chet Atkins.

Hidden behind some leaves on a tree is the address and business placard of Ray's former 1707 Grand Avenue property. My guess is once Ray purchased several other buildings nearby he had them remodeled or torn down because the property that was connected to the 1707 address doesn't resemble housing. The structure in the photo on the right is dark and, as mentioned, resembles a house whereas the extensions were tan/light colored and looked nothing like a house (as you can see in the two photos above). In addition to the photos I've posted and the street addresses I've mentioned there is a facility located on 17th Avenue South which on-line reports state is the location of Ray Stevens Productions. If I'm not mistaken that's the building where he tapes his YouTube music videos...even though I had thought that his video recording studio was located within the Grand Avenue location as well. It turns out that the company began in 1999 and all of the music video productions from Ray Stevens that have emerged since that studio opened were taped at the 17th Avenue South location...including almost all of the episodes of his television series before production moved to the CabaRay showroom on River Road in the early half of 2018. When you see an image of the 1210 17th Avenue location you wouldn't guess it housed the production facilities of Ray's video and television projects. It's so unassuming. I knew his television series wasn't taped at the Grand Avenue location and I knew there was a company called Ray Stevens Productions but I never thought to look up it's address until earlier this morning. There's an Instagram page with numerous photos from recording sessions of the television series. My guess is the summer of 2017 was the last time production took place on Ray's television series at the 17th Avenue studio and then after the CabaRay opened in January 2018 additional episodes were recorded there in February. I suspect additional episodes are to be put into production at some point this calendar year given that the series has returned to national television via cable and satellite on RFD-TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...