April 13, 2019

Ray Stevens: Forty Five Grand (Avenue) Years...

A couple of days ago through social media sites Ray Stevens made the announcement that he's vacated his Grand Avenue recording studio and office after 40 plus years. His CabaRay showroom in West Nashville on River Road opened in January 2018 and construction's been underway on a recording studio at the showroom and in several interviews he mentioned that he'd one day be exiting Grand Avenue for a recording studio at the showroom. Photo's of the new studio's construction also made their way onto social media sites several days ahead of Ray's announcement (on April 11th) that everything's been removed from the Grand Avenue location and it's all been transported the CabaRay. The photo's that were shared of the new studio visually tell us that it'll be awhile before it's up and functioning but it's well on it's way.  Those photos were shared on his Facebook page back on April 1st.

On April 11th, the day of the announcement, photos accompanied the social media posts. The photos show Ray and friends toasting and celebrating the move from Grand Avenue to the CabaRay. Several of his friends as well as many of his fans offered commentary about the event (myself included) and all of us pretty much share the same feelings. Ray, as far as my research goes, opened up his recording studio in 1974. This happened to be his second recording studio on Music Row...the first one was called The Ray Stevens Sound Laboratory which had a lot of success as a studio for other recording artists to use with Ray acting as it's landlord given he owned the building. Ray recorded at that studio as well but after only a couple of years he moved into the Grand Avenue studio at 1707 in 1974 and he remained there until just this past week. The very first song he recorded at 1707 Grand Avenue was "The Streak".

In some of my earliest blog entries I told the story of being in the Ray Stevens fan club at one time. The fan club existed for 15 years, 1987-2002. I became a member in 1994 and I often corresponded with the fan club via letter writing...on an electric typewriter! I'd type up whatever happened to be on my mind concerning Ray's career or his songs and I'd mail the letter to the fan club. I have the 1707 Grand Avenue address burned in my memory banks given all of the letters I'd send off to that address...and nearly every letter was replied to. I'd go to the post office and there would be an envelope from Ray's office in my mailbox...I'd open the envelope and read their reply. Almost all of their replies were on paper with Clyde the Camel as their letterhead. Well, actually, the letterhead was the image of Clyde and the palm trees...which I'm sure all of you are familiar with. Anyway...I was a member of the fan club until it's closing in 2002. I still have many of the newsletters that used to be sent out every month or sometimes once every three months. In some of the newsletters there would be information about upcoming Fan Club breakfasts with Ray.

Don't Laugh Now but back then I was an impressionable and naive teenager and so I actually thought that the fans that attended those breakfasts shown up in their night clothes and I thought to myself "oh gosh, I don't think I'd ever want to sit across from Ray Stevens in my pajamas and eat cereal". Don't Laugh Now happens to be the name of Ray's 1982 album on RCA...recorded at the 1707 Grand Avenue studio...a cassette copy of that album shares the camera with myself in the photo above. I have the vinyl album but I decided to snap a photo of the cassette copy.

But getting back to my reminisces...the fan club was collectively referred to as F.F.F.O.L. and that acronym stood for French Fried Far Out Legion. If you have Ray's 1993 home video, More Ray Stevens Live!, the performance by the band and Ray's brother, John, kick things off. The band had also been given the French Fried Far Out Legion name. Those of you that have Ray's VHS tapes from the early to late 1990s and even the DVD releases...you're no doubt familiar with the Clyde Records logo and the 1707 Grand Avenue address. The Clyde Records logo was the letterhead that graced a lot of the correspondence I'd receive in the mid to late 1990s.

Nearly everything that Ray's recorded since 1974 originated at the 1707 Grand Avenue studio. He's recorded numerous songs that haven't been released yet and those, too, were obviously recorded at that location. I don't think the duet with T.G. Sheppard, "This One Burger King Town", was recorded at Ray's studio. It could have been...but I'm not sure.

I'm assuming there will be some sort of announcement when recordings made at the CabaRay studio become available. I think a lot of his fans, myself included, would want to know which songs were among the first recorded at the new studio...just like whatever he releases in the coming months will be among the last recorded at the Grand Avenue studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...