May 29, 2021

Ray Stevens: All-Time Hits reaches 25...

If you're a longtime fan of Ray Stevens then you're aware that throughout most of the 1980s and more heavily in the 1990s there were many compilation albums released featuring songs from Ray Stevens. There are dozens upon dozens of albums released on Ray with the titles of Greatest Hits, The Best of Ray Stevens, All-Time Hits, and The Very Best of Ray Stevens. There's one called His All-Time Greatest Comic Hits and then there's Get The Best of Ray Stevens. Oh, there's also a compilation album titled The Incredible World of Ray Stevens. The compilation albums weren't just here in America...there were compilation albums that were sold overseas and some companies from overseas imported their Ray Stevens compilation albums to America. These compilation albums, most of them, weren't released by Ray Stevens. The record labels upon which he recorded the songs would license and then re-license the recordings to a variety of small-market and overseas record companies. Barnaby Records, in particular, was the label that re-licensed the music the most. Well, technically, Celebrity Licensing would handle the licensing of not only Ray's Barnaby Records recordings (1970-1975) but also his Monument Records recordings (1966-1969). Ray had no involvement in their release. There's often a misconception that Ray deliberately saturated the marketplace in the 1980s and 1990s with his recordings but that simply isn't true. Almost all of those compilation albums were out of his control. Anyway, I began this blog entry recalling those compilation albums because one in particular, All-Time Hits, turns 25 this year. The compilation, released in March 1996, was issued by Mercury Records subsidiary Polygram Records. The label used the imprint Polygram Special Markets. I purchased the cassette copy, first, and later on I purchased the CD copy. 

I purchased the cassette due to it including a song from Ray that, at that point in time, I hadn't heard...the song "My Dad". The song is from his 1983 Mercury album, Me. When I bought the cassette I already had the other 7 recordings on other compilation albums but I decided to purchase it anyhow because I wanted to hear "My Dad" so badly...this was at a time when I only had a couple of Ray Stevens vinyl albums and my cassette collection was only made up of his latter day releases. I'm glad I purchased All-Time Hits...when the intro of "My Dad" came on the speaker I immediately fell in love with the song and then hearing the crisp vocals from Ray caused it to become an instant favorite. Also, in the back of my mind, I knew I had to start purchasing vinyl albums online in order to hear all of the amazing Ray Stevens recordings that I hadn't yet heard. Slowly but surely I built up my Ray Stevens collection of music to where it is today. I love the publicity photo that was used as a cover photo for All-Time Hits. The cassette copy has 8 recordings and one of the unique things about this compilation is because it's associated with Mercury Records it includes the original early 1960's versions of "Ahab the Arab", "Harry the Hairy Ape", and "Funny Man". The original Mercury Records recordings of those three songs, in particular, are usually replaced on most of those compilation albums by his re-recordings from the late 1960's. "Funny Man", originally from 1963, was re-recorded by Ray in 1968 and placed on his Monument Records album, Even Stevens. "Ahab the Arab", originally from 1962, was re-recorded by Ray in 1969 and placed on the Monument Records album, Gitarzan. "Harry the Hairy Ape", originally from 1963, was also re-recorded by Ray in 1969 for the Gitarzan album. The CD release of All-Time Hits features what are called bonus tracks. There were three additional recordings placed on the CD release: "Butch Babarian", "Santa Claus is Watching You", and "One More Last Chance". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...