December 3, 2023

Ray Stevens: Music Country at 50

Earlier in the year I highlighted the 50th anniversary of Ray's 1973 album, Nashville. Off to the right is a cassette copy showing the record company, Barnaby, and the distributor, MGM, on the cover. When writing that blog entry I don't recall if I made mention of Ray's appearance on the summer replacement show of Dean Martin. The summer show, Dean Martin Presents Music Country, ran during the summer of 1973. Online data indicates that Ray appeared on this show in July 1973...and there's a magazine advertisement that was circulated at the time promoting Ray's upcoming appearance. The ad promoted not only the upcoming television appearance but also promoted the fact that Ray would be singing his current single, "Nashville". Dean's summer show aired on NBC-TV. Now, as we're several weeks away from 2023 turning to 2024, a question forms in my mind: is there any footage of Ray's performance of "Nashville" from Dean Martin's summer show? When you look up information about the July 1973 episodes of that particular series you don't get too much information beyond what seems to be a randomly selected list of guest stars. If I recall correctly the magazine advertisement stated something along the lines of: "Stop! Look! Listen...to Ray Stevens as he sings his new hit, Nashville, on Dean Martin Presents Music Country on NBC-TV". Now, that's going from memory, I'm sure it's not word for word accurate. I've touched on this several times over the years that I've had this fan created blog page up and running and it's the lack of Ray Stevens footage on video hosting sites. I should be more specific, though. The lack of footage from variety shows that we, as fans, know that he guest starred on in his career. Ray's official social media pages has a lot of footage, obviously, but even their library of appearances isn't complete. 

Now, not counting the footage from the 1973 Dean Martin summer show, there are dozens of television appearances from everything from Hee Haw and Pop! Goes the Country to telecasts of the Music City News Awards, Crook and Chase, Nashville Now, and locally produced television programs that still haven't become available online. There is a 1991 episode of Nashville Now, for example, that Ray guest hosted but it has never surfaced on the internet...not even a clip or two, let alone the full episode. Am I impatient? Do I feel ungrateful for the things that are online? No, I'm thrilled and grateful for what's out there on the internet at the moment, I'm just impatient. 

I'm a dedicated fan of Ray Stevens that yearns to see more and more footage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...