May 3, 2009

Ray Stevens: Little Nashville Opry Review

Yesterday evening on May 2 at 6pm I was in attendance at the Ray Stevens concert in Nashville, Indiana at the Little Nashville Opry. I had a great time there in my own low-key sort of way...those who know me will know what I mean. I bought four publicity pictures...all of them taken during photo sessions for the upcoming trucker album "One For The Road". Unfortunately the new CD wasn't available...when you read the review you'll learn more. We'll all have to wait until late May to purchase it.

The concert was everything one would hope for...there were a lot of medley's like the last concert because of the time limit of a 90 minute show and there was no down time during the entire 90 minutes...it was 90 full minutes and they blew by real fast. He performed the obvious songs one would expect to hear at a Ray Stevens concert: "The Streak", "Gitarzan", "Mississippi Squirrel Revival", and the comedy song that gathered the most applause: "It's Me Again, Margaret". His timing was razor sharp because in between the songs he'd deliver comedy jokes...several whose origins were older than Ray that I had heard on HEE-HAW and on old-time radio...but because of his delivery and his timing everyone was howling with laughter. There was one person behind us that couldn't control their laughter most of the time...I'm not saying if it was a man or woman, though.

There was some surprises, too, which is usual at his concerts. He stopped the show during one of his comedy routines because someone in the audience had hollered "sit down!!" and Ray looked over and went "what in the world's happening over there...". He didn't say anything more...because nothing more was made of it...and everyone started laughing. Some people had to stand up and walk out into an aisle way because an older woman had to use the restroom and because of the seating style, well, it caused some people to stand and block some people's view for just a brief second or two. There was another part in the show after he finished a ballad he started scratching his beard I assume because it was itchy and someone hollered out "you're hot!" and everyone laughed and clapped.

The seating was okay but the rows were built so close together that I had to keep getting up out of my seat so that others could walk through to their seat. It was that compact. It made me think of the classic Warner Brothers cartoons, specifically a cartoon short called "She Was An Acrobat's Daughter" where a theater is populated by animals and someone is always wanting to leave his seat for whatever reason and so he has to push his way through the row of people saying "pardon, pardon, excuse me, pardon, pardon...". Anyway, this getting out of my seat a few times happened before the show started which was a relief.

The seats were almost like church pew's...but they were lined with cushions.

You all be careful...Ray Stevens is behind the wheel...
Photobucket Ray slipped in "If 10% Is Good Enough For Jesus" to a rousing applause and he changed a lyric here and there but I won't spoil it for those who read this and hadn't yet gone to see his show yet. He performed the following songs, not in this order:

Such a Night
Gitarzan
It's Me Again, Margaret
Mississippi Squirrel Revival
Everything Is Beautiful
Thank You
Misty
Mr. Businessman
The Streak
If Ten Percent Is Good Enough For Jesus
Safe At Home

Medley: Sgt Preston of the Yukon/Jeremiah Peabody/Ahab the Arab/Along Came Jones

Shriner's Convention partial performance

Almost every song had a story behind it and he told stories that would lead up to the songs he'd sing.

While in the concession area I looked all over but there were no copies of "One For the Road" available. Instead, I bought four pictures of Ray taken during the photo session for the trucker CD. A fellow Ray fan at the concert told me that Buddy Kalb, Ray's long-time friend and songwriting partner, told her that they'd start selling the trucker CD at the concert in a week or two before it's available to the public at large. Who was standing behind the concession counter you may be asking...none other than Buddy Kalb himself and a few other associates!! I handed him my money for the pictures I bought plus I went ahead about bought "Laughter is The Best Medicine" and "The Ones That You Want" because I'm somewhat a completest when it comes to Ray and like to have whatever's available.

Photobucket On our seats when we arrived was a small advertisement for Ray's upcoming trucker album indicating that it would be available at Ray's web-site and the Pilot Travel Center truck stops. Click the image for a bigger view of the advertisement card.

Elsewhere on this advertisement I see that on June 16 it states that Ray will be a guest on Sean Hannity's TV program on Fox News Channel. "Hannity" is what it's called since his on-air partner, Alan Colmes, left the network. It airs here at 9pm. So, there were no copies of Ray's trucker album and the only things they had to sell were CD's and DVD's. There were no shirts or hats or anything. I thought about having one of my pictures of Ray autographed but I backed out at the last second. I stood and watched everyone give one of the road people their items they wanted signed and I thought about having the Ray picture signed but I stayed back in the distance. I did keep looking back to see Ray's people parading in and out of his tour bus.

One of the unique things is a small section in the back of the venue off to the right had vacant seats...it just looked odd seeing every seat in the house filled but one little section in the back right corner...I assume the venue didn't offer those seats because not a soul was sitting there. It was something like three empty rows. The Nashville Opry itself looked like the Boar's Nest on the outside...the place on "The Dukes of Hazzard" where Daisy worked and where a lot of the action took place. On the inside, the Nashville Opry looked like an upscale theater.

Photobucket

All in all it was a great performance and I doubt that there was any media or local radio people there...although on my way to and from the venue I was able to pick up a local Indiana radio station that played classic country...so it's hard to tell if that station had anyone there. I didn't see any radio car's or van's so it's safe to say there wasn't any reporters/media types there...but it was a great show...and chances are the later concerts will have him promoting his trucker CD and you'll perhaps get to see him perform "Concrete Sailor" in person. If this concert were just 2 weeks later we'd be in the middle of the trucker CD publicity...but I'll be buying the trucker CD when it becomes available.

Click the thumbnails for a bigger view...

Photobucket

Photobucket I will be updating a previous blog entry of mine called "Let's Truck With Ray Stevens" just as soon as the trucker CD is released. So, for any that want to know my thoughts about the CD once I listen to it, you'll have to go back to the previous blog which will have my edited commentary.

Ray is featured on a PBS series called Legends and Lyrics. I still have not seen the program air on any of the three PBS stations that I get...I check almost daily and no program with that name comes up in the TV schedule.

4 comments:

  1. Great review and pictures Jerry.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment...I added the pictures and a few other comments that were lacking in the original review I wrote elsewhere. I've been tired much of today and I think it's because I ate a lot of taco's last night and stayed up a few hours after returning home after an event-filled Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great review, Jerry! I was sitting right next to you, and I got to witness the whole event. I'm so glad that Buddy Kalb was at the concert. It was such a nice surprise to finally get to meet the man! I would never get tired of attending Ray Stevens' concerts. I hope we get to see him many more times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to see him again, too...time will tell, though, with the economy and all that...it would be great if he did a show in Cincinnati or Columbus.

    ReplyDelete

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...