July 20, 2019

Ray Stevens entertains the Shriners...2019

Well, it's me once again...I had something of a busy week where I work and in this area we're currently experiencing an agonizing heat wave with upper 90 degree temperatures and heat indexes of triple digits...which adds to the sluggish, sleepy nature I've found myself in this past week as to why I hadn't added a blog entry since July 15th. I've been in a mini-pattern lately, I realize, with the Shriner focus in this fan-created blog page but if I get inspired to write a blog entry I can't help it. In the last entry I presented an over-view of Ray's involvement in an actual Shriner's Convention...not only was he a Grand Marshal at their Nashville parade but he performed a VIP concert for them at the CabaRay showroom. The 147th Imperial Shriner's Convention schedule remains on-line from a couple of weeks ago and on their itinerary they attended a concert at the CabaRay on June 30th and July 1st (which fell on a Sunday and a Monday). I came across a video clip from one of the people in attendance at the concert and it's on YouTube.

I'm always saying that I prefer to embed video clips so you can be spared from visiting a video's home page (due to a lot of trolls and sick-minded people that like to frequent the comment area of video clips) but given that this video clip was uploaded by a concert goer I've decided to provide a link to the video. Why? Well, as we all know, user generated video content of recording artists usually gets removed from YouTube over the course of time...either the one that uploaded the clip removes it on their own or it's been hit with a copyright claim and the user or YouTube itself will remove the video clip. If you embed a video and it's removed from the internet for whatever reason then you're left, as a blogger, with empty video screens that show the disclaimer along the lines of: "sorry, this video is no longer available" or "sorry, this video's been removed by user".

So, to avoid that, I provide links to video content not officially uploaded by Ray. This way you can click the link and if the video is intact you'll be able to play it...or if the video's since been removed you'll see an error message on the YouTube page rather than here. Is that line of thinking an example of being overly aesthetic!?

The video clip is of Ray performing "Shriner's Convention"...and it includes some commentary at the beginning in which Ray discusses the song's origin. He does clear his throat near the beginning of the song's chorus but the song is performed impeccably...and he performs the entire song...most of the time he cuts out the second phone conversation between Bubba and Coy but here he performs it in it's entirety. This video clip, oddly enough, has a date of July 2, 2019...meaning that it was uploaded on July 2nd and yet you won't see it listed if you do a video search for 'Ray Stevens' on YouTube. You'll have to be much more specific and search 'Ray Stevens + Shriner's Convention'. I have no idea why it's not part of the general search results...but I wouldn't have found the video had I not specifically searched for the artist and song title on a whim. You can watch the video HERE. It has 59 unique views as of this writing and one thumbs up rating. Yes, I give the video a thumbs up, and I also left a comment over there. The fact that the video's not popping up in general search results has caused it to go by under the radar but it's too nice of a video clip not to share.

I've seen Ray perform "Shriner's Convention" on television many times and he performed it the couple of times I seen him in concert...but given that this was a performance in front of an audience of Shriner's rather than a general audience, well, it seemed to create something of an electric atmosphere...to my eyes and ears at least. Click the link above and watch for yourselves and, should you choose to, leave a comment or give it a rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...