July 27, 2019

Ray Stevens roasts J.D. Sumner...

Hello once again!! Last week Ray Stevens shared a video clip from 1985 where he roasted legendary gospel artist, J.D. Sumner. The roast took place at the Hyatt Regency Hotel and although I wouldn't dare to guess who all was in attendance I can say with certainty that I recognized The Statler Brothers as well as Jake Hess. I have no idea the emcee...I know of a gospel group, The Blackwood Brothers, and the emcee looks like a member of that group but, as said, I have no idea. The video clip was brand new to me when I seen it last week. I did a Google search for Ray Stevens + J.D. Sumner and discovered that there's a multi-part video clip series that had been uploaded onto YouTube last year. Now, obviously, because Ray wasn't tagged in any part of those video clips from April 2018 I had no idea of their existence.

If you visit YouTube and do a search for those two artists you'll find the clip I'll be embedding below plus you'll come across the various clips already in existence...well over 10 clips...from the 1985 roast. Those multi-part video clips were uploaded by username Bass Singer Eric Winston. In his series of video clips the one featuring Ray Stevens is Part 7 as I found out. The upload from Ray is featured below...



While I was watching the various parts of the extended video clips I seen a number of not too friendly comments. I can summarize their comments by saying the negative reaction stems from a belief, held by some, that gospel recording artists or those that are associated with gospel functions shouldn't present themselves in a secular fashion and that God should be the center of focus in any gathering. The notion of secularism at a gathering of largely gospel personalities obviously rubbed some the wrong way...even though the gala was clearly identified as a Roast and it wasn't promoted as some kind of gospel revival or gospel gathering. I shouldn't have to explain it but for those that aren't aware a Roast is an event filled with insult humor and embarrassing stories, some true and some made-up, directed at whoever the honored person happens to be. It's all done in fun. Simply put: those on YouTube that complained about this 1985 event do not know the concept behind Roasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...