November 3, 2019

Ray Stevens: Vintage '75...

Hello once again...and the title of this blog entry is more or less centered on a video clip of Ray Stevens that emerged on YouTube back on November 2nd, well, yesterday of course. At the moment it's a little past three in the morning as I write this. I make note of that because we had a time change take effect earlier this morning where we fell back one hour at 2am and so we gained an hour. The video clip is from a television performance by Ray Stevens from 1975 and I have no idea what program he was appearing on. I first thought it might have come from an episode of Dinah Shore's television show but the only appearance from Ray on her show, that I've been able to research, has him clean shaven. In this video clip not only does he have his familiar beard but his hair is a tad bit longer than I've seen it. I've seen photo's of him from the very early '70s with a kind of shaggy, lengthy style but this is by far the only time I'd seen video footage of him with noticeable lengthy hair...but then again he very well could have had this lengthy style on his 1975 appearance on Hee Haw but I never took notice given that I was watching it on television rather than the internet and there weren't a lot of those close-up shots that on-line video clips feature...but here's the video embed of Ray performing "Misty". I hesitate to embed the video because I don't know if it'll remain on-line by those that uploaded it but here it is...



I saved me some screen-caps from the clip which is something I typically do with any video that shows up on YouTube featuring Ray Stevens...and I'm referring to video not uploaded through Ray's own YouTube channel. I do this so I'll have imagery saved from those video performances just in case they vanish from the internet for whatever reason. When you watch the video it'll be difficult not to notice how lengthy his hair happens to be...am I over obsessing on this subject matter? Obnoxiously over obsessing?? Let it not be said that I'm not a detailed fan of Ray Stevens. A couple of things you also might notice about the performance...there is no audience and I'm guessing that he's singing to the music track because the musicians aren't shown (they could be off-stage); Ray also chases a fly away...it's always risky to have plants sitting on the stage during a performance...those pesky flies...but the biggest difference is that Ray isn't at the piano which he typically is when performing "Misty". The mystery question, though, is what television program is Ray performing on?

Ray Stevens, in 1975, sings "Misty".
The graphic on the clip states Augustus 1975 but, as I found out, that's Dutch/Netherlands language for August 1975. The symbol on the upper right, 192 TV, I discovered through research is a music-video/music-clip television channel in The Netherlands. They specialize in airing music clips of recording acts of the '50s, '60s, and '70s...this doesn't necessarily mean that the footage was recorded on television programs originating in The Netherlands, at least I don't think...but yes, I'd love to know what television program the above performance originated from. I left a comment over on the YouTube page for that video clip asking if anyone has any information as to the origin of the performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...