July 23, 2022

Ray Stevens: CabaRay Nashville on YouTube E-9, S-1

Hello Ray Stevens fans!! If you've been paying attention to my blog entries lately you'll probably have noticed that there have been gaps between entries. This is because of my job...my hours have been changed to where I'm not available to author blog entries at all hours of the night and so I'll more than likely post the bulk of my forthcoming blog entries on my days off (Sunday and Monday) or like, now, in the hours after I get home from work...but if some sort of breaking news is released (like information of any new album or any new song emerges) I'll be sure and blog about it as soon as possible. This new schedule will take some getting used to.

Due to the new work schedule I'll no longer be home to watch the weekly YouTube premiere of Ray's CabaRay Nashville series. So, like now, I'll provide a re-cap once I get home from work. Last night's episode was Season One, Episode Nine guest starring John Conlee and Jeff Bates. Ray opened the show singing "Dang Me", the classic Roger Miller song. Ray recorded the song for his 2012 9-CD box set, The Encyclopedia of Recorded Comedy Music. Ray and Roger were friends in the music industry. I don't know if they were close friends in the same way that Ray happened to be with Jerry Reed, Ralph Emery, or Chet Atkins...but Ray and Roger respected each other's immense talents. Ray demonstrated his under-used scat singing ability while performing "Dang Me". I've always wished Ray would incorporate more of that into his songs since he's capable of scat singing, proficiently, but with Ray it's almost always used as a source of laughter.

I've been a fan of John Conlee about as long as I've been a fan of Ray Stevens. I was discovering all kinds of country music singers in the early 1980s thanks to my parents and grandparents. I was actually listening to and, as a kid, attempting to sing John Conlee songs for several years before I discovered the songs of Ray Stevens. Some of the first songs from John that I remember hearing were "Common Man", "Busted", "Nothing Behind You and Nothing In Sight", and "Miss Emily's Picture". On this episode of CabaRay Nashville John sings "Common Man" after discussing his earlier career as a news reader on WLAC radio. 

The second guest is Jeff Bates. Ray mentioned that Jeff co-wrote a Christmas song...the song is "Mary and Joseph and the Baby and Me". Ray recorded the song and put it out as a music video. Those of you are probably aware that Jeff Bates sounds incredibly like Conway Twitty on a lot of songs...particularly romantic songs...and on this episode he sings a Conway-type song called "Sleepin' In". Don Cusic appears as the music professor and tells the backstory of the novelty song, "Mr. Custer", which Ray sings to close out the show. Like the previous episodes this one is also a fast moving show. Each episode is typically 22 to 23 minutes including a couple of commercial breaks...one commercial airs at the beginning and another commercial airs at the end of the episode. The commercials are for the CabaRay showroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...