September 25, 2022

Ray Stevens: CabaRay Nashville on YouTube E-5, S-2

Hello fans of Ray Stevens!! In the most recent upload on YouTube of Ray Stevens CabaRay Nashville we were treated to Episode 5, Season 2 guest starring The Bellamy Brothers. I've known of the brothers recordings (Howard and David) for several decades. The first song from them that I can remember hearing was "Old Hippie". Now, of course, their career goes way back...that recording came along in 1985 when I was 8 years old...so I may have heard other songs by them but didn't realize it. The word, hippie, was funny to me at that age and so I asked my parents what a hippie is/was. I don't think they told me but they did say the singers were The Bellamy Brothers. Later on I heard the two songs that they perform on this episode of CabaRay Nashville.

Ray opens the show with the comical performance of "Pickin' on the Chicken" complete with chicken clucks at every intentionally bad pun. The song is from his 2015 Here We Go Again! album. I do happen to believe that Ray inserted more chicken clucks in this performance than what's heard in the recording. There's a lot to laugh at when you see Ray break out into fits of chicken clucks throughout the performance. Ray brings out The Bellamy Brothers and the discussion begins with David's songwriting history and the story behind "Spiders and Snakes". David remarked that he'd written the song and that Jim Stafford's people thrown the song (the demo) in the trash...but according to David's recollection, Jim found the song in the trash and listened to it. 

Jim suggested the two of them re-write a lot of the lyrics to fit Jim's style. The single became a major pop hit for Jim Stafford and a multi-million seller. Ray recorded it for his 2012 Encyclopedia of Recorded Comedy Music. Ray recounts how David's two sons used to show up at the recording studio and wanted to hear Ray's songs. David mentions that his two sons are huge fans of Ray. David mentions that he and Howard are old acquaintances of Gallagher. This leads to a story of how they destroyed Jim Stafford's alarm system with Gallagher's Sledge-O-Matic.


The Bellamy Brothers sing "If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body" and this is followed by "Let Your Love Flow". Howard sings the lead vocals on "Let Your Love Flow" while David sings the lead vocals on "If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body". Ray closes the show singing "The Haircut Song". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...