January 31, 2023

Ray Stevens: "Hoochie Coochie Dancer" surpasses 300,000 unique views

Hello fans of Ray Stevens! Well, I write a blog entry a couple of days ago spotlighting the comedy video "Hoochie Coochie Dancer" nearing the 300,000 unique view plateau and here we are less than 2 days later and it's vaulted past the 300,000 mark. I was thinking it would only be a matter of time but wasn't sure that it would move into the 300,000 level as quickly as it did considering that it isn't being heavily promoted on social media as it once was. The video hit in October 2021 and so it's been available online for a little more than a year. The specific view count is 300,174...a pickup of 256 unique views since January 29th. I'll go out on a limb and say it was my blog entry a couple of days ago that helped push the video past 300,000 sooner rather than later. 

Something funny happened when I went to share the January 29th blog on social media. I included a link to the blog entry plus I included the video link as well. I get a message almost instantly declaring that the video I shared may contain sensitive/offensive material (?) and that it was blocked.

Now, of course, we all know the music video is harmless but it dawned on me that the video's link must've been coded to automatically set off a warning whenever anyone goes to share it. It was then that I come to the conclusion that the video's inability to be shared is what caused it to disappear from social media platforms seemingly overnight. It's something I noticed but never made mention of in any blog entry until now. In the days/weeks/months after the video made it's debut it was being shared all over the place but then it vanished. I never did accept the possibility that the video simply stopped being shared/re-posted by people on social media. I didn't accept it because it made no sense...a video doesn't just stop being shared by a mass audience all at once...and so a lot of the potential exposure the comedy video could've been getting was directly impacted. 

If I had not attempted to post a link to the "Hoochie Coochie Dancer" video the other day I wouldn't have known the video was kept from being shared. The unique views that the video continues to get is truly organic...people are finding it when they search for Ray Stevens music videos since posting a direct link to the video on a certain social media platform is a no-no. My guess is those who made the decision to keep the comedy video from being shared assume it's raunchy or lewd given the video's thumbnail image of Ray standing next to the dancer. It's harmless, comical...some may say absurd...but it's certainly not offensive, raunchy, or lewd in any way. See for yourselves...   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...