March 5, 2023

Ray Stevens: The "Unreal" YouTube Playlist

Hello fans of Ray Stevens!! As the title of this blog entry suggests I'll be sharing a link to the YouTube playlist of Ray's 1970 album, Unreal. I've written about this particular album in several blog entries over the last 10 plus years but like so many albums and songs by Ray Stevens one never gets tired of talking/writing about them. I've only recently began to put some spotlight on the YouTube playlists of his albums. I used to not share them in my blog posts because, at the time, I preferred that people purchase albums but over the course of time I've began embracing the fact that exposure by any legitimate, legal means available is a good thing. So, I've come around to adapting that point of view. Oh, I still purchase his albums...but I no longer preach against listening to music "for free". In some of my older blog posts you'll come across commentary from me pertaining to that subject matter...but back then I wasn't thinking how positive it works in a recording artist's favor having their music available for all to hear...particularly when the traditional way (radio airplay) is non-existent. I also come to the realization that record companies and the artists themselves are compensated when links to audio and video are clicked throughout the social media landscape. It seems unreal, yes? Some reading this might think to themselves "oh my Lord.. he's only NOW figuring this out??". Well, I didn't just figure it out...I've known about it for awhile...but it's only recently that I've began adding album playlists of Ray Stevens from YouTube into my blog entries. I'm doing my modest part in exposing the great songs of Ray Stevens to those that otherwise wouldn't know of him.      

In the above paragraph I name dropped one of the songs on Ray's 1970 album. "Come Around" is one of two songs on the album that wasn't written by Ray. "Come Around" was written by a writer identified as B. Smith. The other song, "Talking", was written by Ray's brother, John Ragsdale. The thing that inspired me to write this blog entry, other than sharing the YouTube playlist, is a snobbish comment I come across earlier today on social media regarding "Come Around". The song was released as a single, overseas, with "Monkey See, Monkey Do" as the B-side. The social media user ripped the song to shreds and more or less insulted the intelligence of anyone that finds the song even the slightest bit entertaining or exciting. It's the social media user's opinion, of course. Now, to be clear, opinions are opinions. I have plenty of opinions, too...but, with my being a huge fan of Ray Stevens and loving the song, and the fact that I author this fan created blog page, it gives me the ability to speak out against any opinion that I don't agree with and by-pass argument/debate; and, as a result of not directly engaging with those I disagree with, I avoid being drawn into any of those annoying online flame wars. 

** An opinion that I'll forever have regarding the music of Ray Stevens, and him as an entertainer, is that he and his music have an audience. We appreciate the kinds of songs he sings, his stage presence, and his talents...and while it might not excite, thrill, or entertain the so-called hip, important people within the music industry or those who think of themselves as all-knowing when it comes to music, he and his songs thrill, excite, and entertain all of us, his fans, which is why we've always remained fans of Ray Stevens. **

This blog entry started with my promoting the YouTube playlist of the Ray Stevens 1970 album, Unreal...so let's get to it...the album features 11 songs. As I pointed out Ray wrote 9 of the 11 songs. The single releases, here in America, were "America, Communicate With Me" and "Sunset Strip". Those two singles hit the Hot 100 pop chart and the Top-20 Adult-Contemporary chart. Although "America, Communicate With Me" is heavily topical with contemporary goings-on in American pop culture it nevertheless became a pop hit in Canada, too. In fact, it holds a distinction of being a Top-40 pop hit in Canada whereas in America it peaked just a few notches short of pop Top-40 status. The album's other single, "Sunset Strip", is a gorgeous song...and it's during the song's chorus that the name of the album, Unreal, is repeatedly heard. 

The 1970 Unreal album is great music and with Ray Stevens you know you're going to not only going to be entertained by the songs but given his skills as a music arranger you're going to also love hearing the way the songs sound! A lot of people overlook the importance of music arrangements...but not Ray Stevens! 

Take a listen to Unreal on YouTube.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...