June 4, 2023

Ray Stevens: The Shriners Coffee Cup...

Hello fans of Ray Stevens!! In this first blog entry for the month of June I thought I'd share an image of me and the Shriners coffee cup...it's a new item in the webstore at the Ray Stevens webpage. There are several coffee mugs and T-shirts that are new but I picked the cup with the image of the Shriners Convention album cover on it. There's also some lyrical quotes on the other side of the cup. Now, of course, the image off to the left is of the 1980 Shriners Convention album so just picture that image on a coffee cup and you'll have the idea of what one of the newest items looks like. I'll be posting a picture of myself and the coffee cup at the end of the blog entry. The song, "Shriner's Convention", was introduced by Ray several months prior to the single's release early in 1980. There is footage of him singing a portion of the song in a made-for-TV crime drama from 1979 called Concrete Cowboys. The TV movie starred Jerry Reed and Tom Selleck. There's a couple of scenes within the movie where Jerry and Tom's characters visit a club and in performance is Ray Stevens. In one visit he's singing a piece of his 1975 song, "Sunshine", and in another scene he's singing "Shriner's Convention". The movie aired October 17, 1979. The "Shriner's Convention" single made it's debut on the various music industry charts in February 1980. One of the publications, Record World, had the single debuting February 9, 1980 which indicated that it had been commercially available starting sometime in January 1980. It was his debut performance for RCA Records. The first half of 1980 was more or less dominated by the "Shriner's Convention" single and the Shriners Convention album. His time at RCA was brief but, to my ears, the recordings he did in that three year period (1980, 1981, and 1982) are absolutely wonderful. 

In the photo below we see legendary Ray Stevens at work at the recording console. One could imagine he's intently listening to a snippet of a music track and deciding where to place the bass or the horns in the arrangement or he's listening to the playback of a recording and deciding that electric guitar is too loud in that portion of the song. I love this photo...well, I love all the photos of Ray that I've seen...but this one captures the serious, production minded side of Ray Stevens...the one that's usually kept behind the scenes inside his recording studio where only a lucky handful get to witness.  

Ray Stevens in Studio; 1981

There are, as I said, several new items in the Ray Stevens webstore and there are coffee cups sold featuring imagery related to "The Streak", "Mississippi Squirrel Revival", "Everything Is Beautiful", and then there's some of the older items related to the CabaRay showroom and some of Ray's other recordings. There's a wide selection of clothing, hats, music, and trinkets at his webstore. You can visit the webstore when you click HERE. Here's me and the Ray Stevens Shriners coffee cup. I didn't check my mailbox on Tuesday (May 30th) but I did check my post office box the next day and saw that the item had arrived. So, technically, I don't know if it arrived in the mail on a Tuesday or if it arrived on a Wednesday. No matter, though...I have it now and it's part of my personal Ray Stevens collection. 

June 2, 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...