January 24, 2016

A Birthday for Ray Stevens...

A great big Happy Birthday goes out to the one and only Ray Stevens on this January 24th! Born Harold Ray Ragsdale on January 24, 1939 in Clarkdale, Georgia he later became the super entertainer, Ray Stevens. Seeing that his birthday falls on a Sunday I don't think there's going to be much on-line reaction on his social media pages beyond a general birthday announcement...usually a celebrity birthday gets a mention on their Facebook page and from there the fans of that celebrity post 'Happy Birthday' greetings throughout most of the day. In previous birthday's for Ray he's posted pictures of small gatherings featuring him standing or sitting near the birthday cake. Sometimes a brief video of the people singing Happy Birthday to him is posted on-line, too. As I do on his birthday I make mention of a couple of internet sites that have his birth year wrong. There is going to be some on-line sites that post Ray having been born in 1941. This is inaccurate. Ray's true year of birth is 1939...meaning that he reaches 77 years young today...

But for Ray Stevens age is only a number, not a warning indicator...for the highly active Ray Stevens is currently enjoying the success of his RFD television series, Ray Stevens' Nashville and I'm sure there is to be some kind of CD release this year. Ray Stevens' Nashville, which runs half an hour, airs every Saturday night at 8:30pm Eastern. It's been on the schedule just over 3 months at the moment. If I recall correctly there's to be 23 or 26 first-run episodes. The series debuted in early November of 2015. It's title is based on Ray's memoir, itself borrowed from his 1973 hit country single, "Nashville". Off to the above right is my vinyl album of a compilation release by RCA titled Collector's Series. I've had this particular title on cassette and CD but never on vinyl. The collection was released in 1985, originally, and then in 1987. It was released on CD for the first time in 1992. No complete collection of his RCA recordings have been made available...unfortunately! I have his studio albums for RCA on vinyl (1980, 1981, and 1982) and I have a cassette copies of 1980's Shriner's Convention and 1983's Greatest Hits, too. However, I have no cassette copy of his 1981 and 1982 albums nor have they ever been issued on CD or in Mp3 format. The RCA era is pretty much as scarce as his Warner Brothers era happens to be as far as availability on modern-day listening devices. The Ray Stevens vinyl albums I have are among the things I cherish the most. They're priceless...sure, the LP's can be found on eBay and other on-line auction sites but once I purchased the albums of his that I've got I've never considered putting a price on them. I still hold out hope that someday cassette copies of his 1981 and 1982 albums come up for sale...but I don't have any hope that RCA is going to release them on CD.

Following up on my previous blog entry concerning the CD release of the Ray Stevens Monument singles (1965-1970) there has since been a product page added on America's Amazon page. You can read about the CD and it's price in American dollars by clicking HERE. It's available for Pre-order...and it states that it'll be available here on March 4th. I'll post more about this CD the closer it gets to March 4th.

In the meantime wish Ray Stevens a Happy Birthday on social media today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...