June 10, 2018

Ray Stevens at CMA Fest 2018...Preview of Events...

Here I am once again...blogging about the one and only Ray Stevens! Earlier this morning I blogged about one of the recent episodes of his television series, Ray Stevens CabaRay Nashville. After several hours of sleep/rest I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement that Ray's scheduled interview this afternoon with Robert K. Oermann is underway. There hasn't been any information released indicating whether or not the interview will be streaming live on any website or if it'll be recorded, which I assume it will be, for playback later. The opening segment will be streamed live on-line but as for the rest of the schedule I'd say probably not or else there would've been announcements made by now.

The interview is scheduled to last 45 minutes and I've seen the line-up of events taking place today at the CMA Close-Up Stage...everything appears to be timed to the precise minute.

Here's the scheduled run down of what's happening today in the particular venue Ray's interview will be conducted in:

Kelsea Ballerini: 11am - 12pm
Bill Anderson and Bobby Bare: 12:15pm - 12:45pm
Ray Stevens: 1pm - 1:45pm
Restless Heart: 2pm - 3pm
Exile: 3:15pm - 4pm
Naomi Judd: 4:15 - 5pm

This information comes from the CMA World website. The only thing that looks a bit odd, to me at least, is the 30 minutes allotted to Bill Anderson and Bobby Bare...two gigantic icons of country music. I say that because, in my way of thinking, it'll be rather difficult enough to squeeze in 60 years of Ray Stevens entertainment into 45 minutes but I'm curious as to how 30 minutes for a couple of artists with more than 110 years combined in country music will come off. Perhaps some segments may run shorter or longer than the scheduled time listed...it's all live so anything's possible...so it's hard to tell. I do notice a pattern of there being a 15 minute break between each segment, though. Whatever information becomes available I'll make a note of it in this fan created blog that you're reading in which I call the Ray Stevens Music Journey. It's 11:16am Eastern time as I type this...and Nashville, TN is in the Central time zone so it's an hour earlier. Ray's interview will be 1pm Central/2pm Eastern. If a video clip should become available of his interview or if a transcript or audio becomes available I'll obviously blog about it.

(**)- Blogger correction: In some of my recent blog entries I've mentioned that Ray would be performing the National Anthem to close out this year's installment of CMA Fest. I was incorrect. Ray will be performing the National Anthem at the Nissan Stadium to kick off the final night of performances. Each of the past three days there's been an act that's performed the National Anthem and so on closing night, Day 4, it's Ray's opportunity to perform it.

So, then, what exactly was happening in the career of Ray Stevens some 60 years ago? Well, for one thing, he was under contact to Capitol Records while still a teenager. Born January 24, 1939 he was 18 years old when Prep Records, a subsidiary of Capitol, issued the very first commercial single on Ray Stevens. Very loyal and devoted fans should know the name of the single without having to look off to the left at the image. The single was "Silver Bracelet" backed with "Rang Tang Ding Dong (I'm the Japanese Sandman)". Interestingly, though, "Silver Bracelet" is generally listed as the B-side in price guides even though I've not seen any single release images to suggest an A or a B side. My guess is because "Rang Tang Ding Dong" is a comical/novelty performance it's been given A side deference given Ray's reputation for comical recordings. That's my theory anyway. I've never professed to be an expert in the technical aspects of the single releases and why some are clearly marked A or B and some are not...but what's more interesting is Ray always mentions "Silver Bracelet" as being his first commercially released recording. So, perhaps, "Silver Bracelet" holds the distinction of being his first ever professional recording but researchers and the like prefer the comical performance and so they give it top billing? It's anybody's guess...but one thing is clear...the comical recording has more production...and perhaps the reason for that is because it's a cover of a previous hit by The Cellos, a Rhythm and Blues group, that had regional and local success but their only showing on the national charts was "Rang Tang Ding Dong". Their recording of "Rang Tang Ding Dong" would have been considered their current release the year Ray recorded his version. There was a CD released several years ago with the unique title of Ahab, Jeremiah, Sgt. Preston and More...The Early Ray Stevens. It was an import CD from the United Kingdom. I wrote a blog entry about the CD's eventual release and I even posted a photo of myself and the CD.

Yes, that's the photo I posted of myself displaying the CD back then. I was, of course, attempting to model my facial expression after the one Ray is giving us on the CD cover. My mouth is typically never opened that wide unless I'm eating a half pound roast beef sandwich or some other kind of sandwich of that magnitude. Anyway...the CD features 31 recordings ranging from 1957 through 1963 and covering the record labels of Prep, Capitol, NRC, and Mercury. The first 15 recordings spotlight single releases and the remainder of the tracks include his entire 1962 album for Mercury Records, titled 1,837 Seconds of Humor, plus a couple of additional recordings added to the song total. By that I mean the track list includes both the Single and Album cut of "Ahab the Arab" from 1962. On top of this the collection also contains his original recording of "Santa Claus is Watching You" and three songs from his 1963 album, This is Ray Stevens. The CD became available back in April of 2014. I was reluctant, at first, to purchase the CD until I seen it become available for purchase on Amazon. My review of the CD over there is dated December 24, 2014 and I begin the review by explaining that I finally got around to purchasing it.

At the moment it's 12:54pm Eastern/11:54am Central and so the first set at the CMA Close-Up Stage with Kelsea Ballerini is nearly complete. At 12:15pm Bill Anderson and Bobby Bare make their appearance and then Ray Stevens makes his way onto the stage at 1pm Central.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...