June 30, 2018

Ray Stevens CabaRay Nashville: John Schneider...

Hello all...I'm in early today...usually I write my blog entries in the overnight hours but when I got home from work this morning I decided to check Ray's video site to see if last week's episode of his CabaRay Nashville television series was uploaded...and it was. I watched it and so I'm now going to write my re-cap of it.



This episode guest starred John Schneider and you can see from the video clip above. The still shot is of their duet of "Good Ol' Boys"...but first things first. Ray opened the show performing a song I'd never heard before. It's listed as "Marie" in the program description and prior to the start of this blog entry I did some research and found out that the song goes way back...a performance on YouTube by Tommy Dorsey is available to listen to but it doesn't have the same arrangement heard in Ray's performance.

Ray brings out John Schneider and informs the audience that John's made several appearances at Ray's Saturday morning gathering, informally referred to as the Breakfast Club, which Ray's been holding for decades. I knew nothing of this informal, weekly breakfast get together among friends in and out of the music business until I read Ray's memoir a couple years ago. Ray asks John how he got into acting and then into music. John remarks that he had actually started acting in childhood and that he was born in New York state. He reflects on how many people naturally assume that he was born in the deep south given the character roles he's played, specifically Bo Duke, on Dukes of Hazzard (1979-1982, 1983-1985). He attributes the ability to pull off playing the character as simply acting. John speaks about his current project in which he's going to be recording 52 songs. The project is called Odyssey. Given that this episode was taped earlier this year the first two volumes of the project are already available according to an announcement on his website and you can read more about the project by clicking HERE.

The site describes it as a pre-order and so it's my guess there hasn't been a general release for the project as of yet. His Facebook page has more information, too...but getting back to the show...

On cue, Ray steers the conversation to performing the Dukes of Hazzard theme, "Just a Good Ol' Boys". Ray and John perform it in a lively rendition with numerous guitar solo's by Jerry Kimbrough. It's a much longer performance than the studio recording by Waylon Jennings and as I was watching and listening to Ray and John perform it I wondered how long it could continue because as soon as you think they're going to reach a conclusion they start right back where they left off and sing the famous sing-a-long chorus once more. It does come to a conclusion and John does the 'ye-haw!' catchphrase heard in the television series whenever the General Lee car flies over lakes, hilltops, or over top of other parked cars. Ray then asks John how he got the role of Bo Duke. John recalls that he got the part when he was still a teenager (age 18) and that he fibbed a little by saying to the powers that be that he was from Georgia. Ray mentions that John currently appears on a series called The Have's and the Have Not's which leads into John discussing Tyler Perry. Among the discussion is John's movie studio located in Louisiana. Ray asks where it's located and John says the nearest big city is Baton Rouge. In addition to the television series Ray mentioned (which debuted in 2013) John also appeared in numerous episodes of Smallville as Jonathan Kent (the adoptive father of Clark Kent).

John performs one of the songs included on his Odyssey project, "I Wouldn't Be Me Without You", and he follows it up with "I've Been Around Enough to Know". Ray thanks John for appearing on the show and then after the applause dies down he wonders why there's a common belief among people in society that once people in the public eye reache a certain age then it's time to retire. Ray defies such a mandate and states that he isn't going to retire anytime soon and with that he introduces a brand new song from the pen of his long time collaborator and business associate, Buddy Kalb. The song is called "It's My Job". It's a hand clapper...and you'll immediately notice that from the audience reaction...and it fits Ray like a glove, too. I hope he records it and puts it out for purchase.

The episode airing this weekend on local PBS stations guest stars Lee Roy Parnell. I can't wait to see this episode, too! I'll see it next weekend and as usual I'll write my recap! Oh, by the way, this coming Tuesday night (July 3rd) Ray will guest star on the Tuesday Night Opry!! I don't think I'll be able to hear it on my car radio (on my way to work) because WSM doesn't come in clear in my area until after 8pm Eastern and sometimes 9pm Eastern. If for some reason I miss hearing it Tuesday night I'll wait for the audio clip to appear in the Opry archives.

In the meantime the episode of Ray's television series airing this weekend is the 13th. I haven't read anything suggesting that there will be more new episodes to air or if the series will go on rerun hiatus. I was expecting some sort of announcement to be made in the latter half of this past week as to whether a new season would get underway next weekend or if the previous couple of seasons would be reran during the summer months. If I come across any announcement I'll pass it along. More than likely the closer we get to next weekend we'll receive an announcement through social media sites on upcoming new episodes and when we should expect to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...