July 1, 2018

Ray Stevens: Compilation Look-Back...

Earlier in my blog posts I posted some entries surrounding the abundance of compilation albums you can find on-line released on Ray Stevens. Those releases are largely available on vinyl but there's a lot of them available on cassette and CD, too. Some of the compilations that I've posted about are ones I have in my own collection or they're collections I found while visiting on-line music stores and I saved their images for future blog entries. I've posted quite a few blog entries surrounding a certain 1979 compilation album that I do not have in my collection but I happen to like the cover art and obviously the songs found on that album are a must-have for any newcomer to Ray's career. The album often comes up for sale on eBay...and some of you may wonder if the album often comes up for sale then why haven't I purchased it by now?? One of the main reasons is the price is not reasonable (for me) and most, if not all, offerings are from the United Kingdom and the most recent offering is asking almost thirty dollars for it (which doesn't factor in international shipping, handling, and taxes). If I ever come across this compilation album on-line for a much more economical selling price I may at long last make a purchase...but for now I love the album from a distance...

The Best of Ray Stevens, as this one is titled, was released in 1979 on the Imperial House label in the United Kingdom. It's a 2-LP collection of 20 songs. The obvious recordings are here: "Ahab the Arab", "Mr. Businessman", "The Streak", "Everything is Beautiful", "Gitarzan", "Along Came Jones", "Misty", "The Moonlight Special", "Turn Your Radio On", "Bridget the Midget The Queen of the Blues", and 10 more. I wouldn't begin to guess how many compilation albums released on Ray Stevens have been given this title. The Best of Ray Stevens and another often used title, The Very Best of Ray Stevens, have long sent confusion for a number of fans because you can't necessarily refer to a compilation as The Best of Ray Stevens because the most loyalist of fans will wonder if you're referring to this 1979 release or perhaps the 1970 release by Mercury Records or maybe an import album from another part of the world or perhaps a compilation imported to America from Canada. The most often used compilation title is by far Greatest Hits. I grin as I type this because of the sheer number of Ray Stevens compilation albums that have been titled Greatest Hits over the decades. A lot of these compilation albums are the result of mass production of easily licensed recordings. A majority of Ray's Monument and Barnaby recordings fell into that category. By this I mean the recordings weren't too expensive and a lot of compilations on Ray Stevens began to surface in the late 1970s, and especially throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s, as an assortment of record companies began to offer many compilation albums on Ray that often featured the same set of songs but in different sequential order depending on which album you purchased.

Some compilation albums would tack on a couple new selections just to keep things a bit different but by and large the 20 songs found on this 1979 album would make numerous appearances throughout the next decade on many of those compilation albums. Ray didn't have a say in those releases, either. To my way of thinking, and it's based on snippets of interviews I'd heard and read from Ray, the only greatest hits releases that he actively took part in and was truly aware of their existence were: Greatest Hits (1971; Barnaby); Greatest Hits (1974; Barnaby); The Very Best of Ray Stevens (1975; Barnaby); Greatest Hits (1983; RCA); Greatest Hits, Greatest Hits Volume Two, and Get The Best of Ray Stevens (all in 1987 on MCA); His All-Time Greatest Comic Hits (1990; Curb); and Greatest Hits (1991; Curb). In fact, the 1991 compilation on Curb Records features an alternate version of "There's a Star Spangled Banner", a song that originally appeared on his 1989 MCA album, Beside Myself. In the 1989 recording Ray tells the story of a P.O.W. in Beirut in addition to celebrating the American Flag itself. In the 1991 alternate recording it retains the same chorus and music arrangement but the verse lyrics are completely different. If you're not a devoted fan or student of all things Ray Stevens then you wouldn't be aware of the two completely different versions of the song. You'd think by looking at the track list that it's merely the same recording previously released on Beside Myself. Way back when I purchased 1991's Greatest Hits, believe me, I was also surprised to hear this different take on the song. By the way, you can click on each of the images of the LP for a larger view. As I mentioned I do not own that 1979 compilation album but it's safe to say the versions of "Ahab the Arab" and "Harry the Hairy Ape" come from his 1969 Monument album, Gitarzan, instead of the original recordings on Mercury in 1962 and 1963 respectively. The inspiration for this particular compilation album seems to be the recording that the record label tacked on as the last song on side two of the second LP. "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" was a hit for Ray on Warner Brothers in 1979 and so this song was added to the more familiar line-up of recordings. The songs found on the LP range from the years 1968 to 1975 and then it jumps to 1979...curiously omitting the hit recordings he had during 1976-1978...which only added to the obscurity in the next decade of his Warner Brothers recordings as they weren't kept in print.

In 1995 Warner Brothers seemingly out of the blue issued a 3-CD/3-cassette collection of many of his recordings for the label in the late 1970s. As a member of Ray's once active fan club and in the years before the internet explosion came along I used to type letters and mail them to Ray's fan club seeking information about whatever happened to be on my mind at the time and when I spotted those Warner Brothers compilations I sent off a letter telling of the Ray Stevens goldmine of music I found and how rare these songs happened to be (I'm sure they also realized how rare his Warner Brothers recordings were and still are and probably knew of the compilations beforehand); but, anyway, in the next fan club newsletter that arrived in the mail I was given some recognition by Ray's office staff in a brief section where they thanked me for letting them know that some of Ray's out of print and obscure recordings were available for purchase once again.

I bought those 3 compilation albums released by Warner Brothers with some of the high school graduation money I got...they're titled: Cornball, Do You Wanna Dance?, and The Serious Side of Ray Stevens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...