January 8, 2019

Ray Stevens vinyl Singles I came Across...

Over the weekend I made a visit to an area flea market. Some may not take the time to frequent them as often as they used to with so many on-line sites, most of time, offering the same kind of items: used books, crafts, machinery, music, memorabilia, etc. Anyway, I like to visit flea markets every so often because sometimes I come across things that I'd probably never come across on eBay or if I do come across things on eBay more than likely they'll be a whole lot cheaper at a traditional flea market or antique mall. I often come across vinyl copies of the Ray Stevens single, "Funny Man", on eBay and a lot of the time it's either an international release, a promo copy, or another similar kind of offering. The copy I came across is indeed a promo copy but there's a couple of markings on the label which, in the eyes of professional collectors, probably immediately decreases the single's value. However, because I'm not a professional collector/dealer and since I don't purchase Ray Stevens items or any other item for the purpose of selling it I decided to go ahead and purchase the single for my own collection. The song was released as a single by Mercury Records in 1963 and it hit the Top-20 on the pop chart in Canada. The B-side, "Just One of Life's Little Tragedies", is one of the many under-rated, under-appreciated ballads...by saying that I mean there's long been a popular misconception that Ray only sings comedy songs...but if one actually listens to his albums in their entirety rather than searching for, or focusing solely on, the 'hit' recording (which is often comical) you'd be surprised to learn just how many non-comedic songs he's actually recorded in his 60 plus year career.

In addition to the 1963 vinyl single I also came across a copy of Ray's 1980 single on RCA, "Shriner's Convention". This copy is also a promo featuring the edited take on one side and the unedited take on the other side. The short version has a length of 4 minutes, 10 seconds while the long version has a length of 5 minutes, 33 seconds. As is the case with a lot of single releases there were promo copies, international copies, domestic copies, alternate domestic copies, alternate promo copies often referred to as DJ copies, etc. There's a red vinyl copy of the single that was manufactured as well. It, too, features the short version of "Shriner's Convention" on Side A and the long version of the song on Side B. The single hit the Top-10 on the country chart early in 1980. In addition to the promo single of "Shriner's Convention" that I purchased at the flea market over the weekend I already had the commercial single that was issued to the general public in my personal collection. It's B-side is "You're Never Goin' To Tampa With Me". I'm not actively seeking the red vinyl copy of "Shriner's Convention" but if it ever comes into my possession I'd then have a copy of all the various single releases of that particular recording. There were a number of vinyl albums of Ray at the flea market that I already have. Here's an observation I made concerning the various vinyl album booths that I visited: in one of the booths at the flea market they had his vinyl albums in the country music section. In another music vendor's booth they had some of his vinyl albums mixed in with random vinyl albums of stand-up comedians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...