February 3, 2019

Ray Stevens in 2009...

Just by coincidence I was looking on the internet and browsing through an on-line music store of Ray Stevens items and I came across a CD that's been in my collection for over 11 years now. Ray Stevens Sings Sinatra...Say What?!? came along in 2008 on Clyde Records. I purchased my copy of the CD at a merchandise table when I arrived at a venue that was presenting a Ray Stevens concert. If I remember correctly it was at Renfro Valley, Kentucky. I had only seen Ray twice in concert before visiting his CabaRay showroom in Nashville, Tennessee last year (once in Renfro Valley and another time in Nashville, Indiana). Those two concerts were in 2008 and 2009 respectively. Curb Records picked up distribution of the CD and sold it on-line and once it became available for purchase through on-line retail stores I wrote a CD review and posted it. Curb issued the CD on February 10, 2009 and so it's almost 10 years to the day that the Sinatra tribute CD became widely distributed. It had previously only been available through Ray's on-line store. It isn't a comedy album...I want to make that clear...and so if you appreciate the serious side of Ray Stevens in addition to his comical side I'd suggest you purchase this CD if you haven't done so already! The songs are largely arranged in a manner similar to the originals but with just enough difference to distance it from the Sinatra originals. I had hoped, at the time of it's release, it was the beginning of a covers period where tribute albums from Ray to various iconic crooners of pop music were to be forthcoming but this ultimately turned out to be a one-time detour. You can read my on-line review by clicking HERE.

Later on in 2009 he released a 15 song CD titled One for the Road which is a mix of new, previously unavailable songs in addition to re-recordings of previous songs found on older albums of his that weren't in print. It was originally an exclusive at select Pilot Truck Stops and I happen to think most of those Pilot stores were in Tennessee and the southern states because no Pilot truck stop in my area ever offered the CD and so I had to wait until the Pilot exclusive ended before it became available for sale to a wider audience almost half a year later. Talk about agony!! I love the art design of the CD...the chrome-like decor of the CD's title and the playful looking image of Ray behind the wheel. The back of the CD features an image of Ray seated on the truck's step looking as if he'd just completed a long road trip and is winding down. As mentioned the CD features previously unavailable new songs, previously released recordings, and new re-recordings of previously available songs. On top of that there are three recordings from 1992 billed as 'bonus tracks'. Confused yet? The bonus tracks were his early '90s re-recordings of "Mississippi Squirrel Revival", "It's Me Again, Margaret", and "The Streak". Those audio recordings could also be heard on the music videos released on Comedy Video Classics in 1992. "Bon Temps Roulette" as well as "Hang Up and Drive" had previously been available on 2000's Ear Candy and 2002's Osama Yo' Mama. New re-recordings included "Mary Lou Nights" (originally recorded by Ray in 1983), "Jack Daniels, You Lied To Me Again" (originally recorded by Ray in 1990), and "Oh, Lonesome Me" (originally recorded by Ray in 1975). The song, "Retired", had previously been recorded by Ray and one of it's writers, Brent Burns, as a duet several months earlier for a project titled I've Got a Beach in My Backyard (a 2009-released Brent Burns CD) but Ray sings it solo for the 2009 One for the Road CD. This leaves six recordings that had never appeared on any previously released album: "Concrete Sailor", "Convoy", "The Right Reverend Roadhog McGraw", "Cooter Brown", "Hangin' Around", and "Never Too Late".

One of those new, previously unavailable recordings found on the trucker CD happened to be "Concrete Sailor" which I later discovered had previously been recorded by Jerry Reed. I had known of Jerry for years and liked hearing him sing and I always liked watching him play the guitar and laugh or grin at the audience or the band members as he was frenetically picking away. I was never a hardcore fanatic of his...in other words not in the same manner as I am with Ray Stevens...but I liked his songs.

I first knew of Jerry as an actor, though...and then I discovered his music career. I knew he sang the theme song and acted in the Smokey and the Bandit movies and he appeared on television programs singing...but I never put two and two together back then...as a kid you're impressionable and if you see someone as an actor that sings then that's how you perceive them until you learn otherwise. Needless to say I quickly discovered a lot of Jerry's hit songs and became aware of him even more as a singer and all around entertainer...but anyway, this CD opens up with Ray singing "Concrete Sailor" from the pen of Buddy Kalb. It originally appeared on Jerry's 1980 album, Texas Bound and Flying. Since the song happened to come from the pen of Ray's long-time associate and collaborator, Buddy Kalb, it's interesting that Ray chose not to record it back then...and so Jerry recorded it...but given that Buddy wrote it the song was published by Ray's company. If you happen to have the actual single of "Texas Bound and Flying" you'll see "Concrete Sailor" as the B-side. It's also of note that in 1980 both Ray and Jerry recorded for RCA records.

Once I discovered that Jerry had originally recorded "Concrete Sailor" I've often wondered if Ray's recording of it was done as a silent tribute to Jerry Reed. Ray's recording came along in 2009 following Jerry Reed's death in September 2008. I call it a silent tribute because there was no attention or publicity surrounding it's appearance on Ray's One for the Road CD even though Ray knew it had been originally recorded by Jerry Reed.

Speaking of Jerry Reed a recent article appeared on-line by Jeremy Roberts. I've featured articles by him several times in the past and this time around it's an article/interview of one of Jerry's former band members, John Harris. You can read the interview by clicking HERE. If you like what you read, and I think you would, be sure to click the applause symbol. It's the site's version of a 'like' button to show you liked the interview.

In one of the episodes of Ray Stevens CabaRay Nashville there was one titled Tribute Show. In this episode (Season 6, episode 9) Ray performs songs made popular by the likes of Glen Campbell, Mel Tillis, Merle Haggard, as well as Jerry Reed. A promo for the episode was uploaded onto YouTube with a voice-over by Buddy Kalb. In those promo clips you'll hear Ray doing the voice-over but for this one it's delivered by Buddy...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...