December 29, 2019

Ray Stevens: Overseas LP...

It's me once more...earlier I posted my sometimes annual blog entry looking back at the current year and speculating on the upcoming new year in the career of Ray Stevens. In this blog entry the heading surrounds a vinyl album I came across on eBay about an hour ago while doing a product search. The art/design and lettering is definitely an eye catch and the photo of Ray that's used is the one that appears on his 1973 album, Nashville. I'm not posting an image of that album because it's covered with watermarks but I'll provide a LINK to the product. The seller is overseas and the bulk of the information is written in their language for those of you that may wish to bid or purchase the vinyl album. It's a Greatest Hits release in which the seller states was released in 1971 but, of course, that's not accurate considering the album cover features titles of some of the songs...among those listed on the front side of the album is "The Streak"...a massive hit for Ray in 1974. "Misty" isn't listed on front and so I'm guessing that vinyl album was issued at some point late in 1974 or early in 1975 prior to the release of "Misty".

I say this because if the album came along midway through 1975 or by the end of that year "Misty" and "Indian Love Call" would be on that Greatest Hits album, too. Those two songs have appeared on countless compilation albums on Ray Stevens over the decades and considering that neither song title appear in spotlight fashion on the front side of the vinyl album I provided a link to indicates, to me at least, the album hit at some point early in 1975 or in the latter half of 1974. I wish I could find an image of that vinyl album without the watermarks. I may do an internet search for that vinyl album and see if I come across any images without the watermarks. If I come across such an image I'll post it in a future blog entry.

I wasn't keeping track but today is the day, back in 1987, that Ray Stevens performed at the halftime show during the Liberty Bowl. The game pitted the Georgia Bulldogs against the Arkansas Razorbacks. I came across a video clip posted within the last hour featuring a portion of Ray's halftime performance. The clip is a little more than five minutes. The halftime show, of course, was originally much longer but this edited clip captures the footage of Ray on camera. The performance took place on December 29, 1987 and the complete halftime show was posted on YouTube by Ray back in August of 2014 but this new upload from this morning edits out the performances from the other acts. If you know your Ray Stevens history you'll immediately connect 1987 with televangelist scandals and Ray's hit, "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex?".

As you'll see in the screen capture located in the video embed below he's wearing a luxurious fur coat...this is the only time I'd ever seen him perform in this coat. The theme of that year's halftime show was We The People...celebrating the 200th year of the Constitution's creation (September 17, 1787). The Constitution became legally effective on March 4, 1789. If you search on-line auction sites for any souvenir programs of that Liberty Bowl you'll see that the cover features the authors/framers of the Constitution. Here is the video clip of Ray's appearance at the 1987 Liberty Bowl halftime show...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...