November 4, 2022

Ray Stevens: The Warner Brothers cassettes Have Arrived..

Hello fans of Ray Stevens!! Lately I've been reacquainting myself with eBay purchasing. It had been more than a decade, it seems, since I last bought anything from there. The reason I'd stopped is, if I recall correctly, there was a time period where the only way to make purchases was through the PayPal system and I didn't want to do that. Anyway...about a month ago I began to not only browse eBay but have started to make purchases again. The first item I purchased, since it was at the right price and it was a Ray Stevens item, was a cassette copy of One More Last Chance. That cassette was released in 1981 on RCA Records. I have had the vinyl album for years but had never come across a cassette copy. When I seen it for sale on eBay, and knowing the obscure nature of a cassette copy, I bought it. The purchase/transaction went well and so I purchased an even more obscurity...a cassette copy of Ray's 1978 album on Warner Brothers, There Is Something On Your Mind. The vinyl album, which often comes up for sale and something I have in my collection, is rare enough but a cassette copy?? When I seen it listed I bought it!!

This is just one of three photos I took with my web-camera. The album is Ray's salute to vintage rhythm and blues songs that he says were an inspiration to him. The vinyl album features extensive commentary from Ray on both the front and back of the album cover but the cassette copy lacks this. There's a track list provided on the reverse side of the cassette cover as well as on the back of the cassette. I know of another fan of Ray Stevens that says that There Is Something On Your Mind was an album released only in Canada. The only thing I know is that there was absolutely no publicity for this album when it was released. I've searched archives of various music publications (Billboard, Record World, Cashbox) from around the time this album would've been originally released and I came across no publicity or even an album review. The album/cassette features 8 songs...maybe that's the reason it didn't get an album review back in 1978? However, don't let that fool you into thinking the album is less than half an hour because it isn't. The songs are lengthy...and by the time the album is finished you'd have thought you'd listened to an album of 11 or 12 songs. Why? Well, it's because there are four medley performances among the track list. There's the opening medley called "Dance Trilogy" which contains brief performances of "Do You Wanna Dance?", "When You Dance", and "Save the Last Dance For Me". This is followed by full performances of "Talk to Me" and "One Mint Julep". The fourth track on the cassette is the "Old Faithful Trilogy". That trilogy features brief performances of "Shake a Hand", "Since I Met You Baby", and "Always". The remaining four tracks are: "Money Honey", the "Banned in Boston Trilogy" which features "Sixty Minute Man", "Work With Me Annie", and "Annie Had a Baby"; the final two tracks are "Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash" and "There is Something On Your Mind". I know, in the photo below, I should have my other hand resting on the side of my chin if I wanted to make an exact copy. I ordinarily don't use the camera's timer but in this instance I did...


 

The other Warner Brothers cassette can be seen here. The Feeling's Not Right Again was released in 1979. I have the vinyl album and if you do, too, you'll know that the back of the album also features a photo of Ray. The thing about cassette tape and 8-track releases is they lack imagery or commentary that might be featured on the back of a vinyl album. However, given the obscurity of cassette copies of Ray's albums from the '70s and early '80s I've decided, if they're at the right price, to purchase them on eBay just so I can have them in my personal collection. This is actually a compilation album and not a studio album. The album's cover art (both front and back) intentionally parodied the art work found on Barry Manilow's 1975 album, Trying To Get The Feeling. Ray's vinyl album copy went a step further with matching font style of Ray's name and album title but as you can see the cassette copy lack this. The only new song on the 1979 album is "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow". Warner Brothers apparently didn't want to release an album on Ray titled Greatest Hits or The Best of Ray Stevens and so they put out The Feeling's Not Right Again and filled it with previously released songs from 1976, 1977, and 1978. The songs weren't randomly chosen, either. They were intentionally chosen for their MOR (Middle-of-the-Road) sound due to the inclusion of the new song, "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow". The album's title track, in case you're wondering, had been previously released on Ray's 1978 album, Be Your Own Best Friend. That album was released in the fall of 1978...and "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" began making it's impact in the spring of 1979. So, in an effort to build an album around that 1979 single release, The Feeling's Not Right Again emerged in the summer of 1979. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...