November 6, 2022

Ray Stevens: Have You Heard the New Songs?

Hello Ray Stevens fans!! I had it planned to tape the RFD television show, Larry's Country Diner, last night when my DVR malfunctioned. I got home from work last night and immediately flipped on the TV and went to my DVR menu and seen that the episode I scheduled to have recorded didn't record! I was furious because I was expecting to see the episode when I arrived home from work...and it wasn't recorded. I later discovered that my TV hadn't been updated...we get periodic software update reminders...and obviously I had forgotten to update the software the last time I was watching TV and so I scheduled the DVR to record and it confirmed the episode would record but yet, as mentioned, it didn't. I frantically searched online for any sort of content from the show. 

Now, a few days ago, someone on YouTube uploaded a performance of Ray from Larry's Country Diner. The episode, which originally aired Thursday night was reran Saturday night...it's the Saturday night rerun I attempted to record. Anyway, video of Ray singing "When Bubba Changed His Name to Charlene" emerged on YouTube the other day. The performance comes from someone's TV set...they recorded the song on their cell phone and then uploaded the video to YouTube. I don't prefer to embed video content from those outside of Ray's official YouTube channel but I have posted links to video content from YouTuber members. That's a screen cap from the episode. The TV show is set on a brightly lit stage and so I toned down some of the bright coloring just a little bit. If I wouldn't have then the photo off to the right would look more bright than it currently is. This is during the performance of "When Bubba Changed His Name to Charlene". There are several moments in the performance where Ray gives us some of his familiar facial expressions...particularly when he sings about the athlete who says he's a girl just because he said he is...with obvious visual facts saying otherwise. I don't know if this is the first song about this subject matter but if Ray puts this out through his own social media platforms it, I think, would generate all kinds of notice.  

Those interested, and I'm quite sure all of you are, here is the LINK to watch Ray Stevens perform "When Bubba Changed His Name to Charlene". Since it's a video recorded directly onto a phone from a television set you're not going to have sharp, pristine sound quality...but have the volume up nonetheless and, more importantly, have a listen. 

I hope Ray puts this song out as a single...perhaps with a green screen music video. As mentioned, if Ray would put this song out through his own social media, it would grab a whole lot more attention, shares, likes, and general conversation. It's a light-hearted look at what some people out there want everybody to take extremely seriously. It's a social commentary that speaks to the average person who doesn't let themselves get caught up in a lot of the noise out there or allow 'experts' to tell them how to form their views. 

A fellow Ray Stevens fan who seen the episode was able to record a few seconds of Ray singing a song that we think is called "Cupholder". Also performed was "Where Are All the 12 Year Olds" which I'm more familiar with since he performed it on an episode of Huckabee earlier this year and it's been on YouTube for more than half a year. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello a country fan! I was trying to remember just where I had first heard the song, “Where are all the twelve year olds?” Thank you for saying it was on “Huckabee!” I haven’t been to my computer yet, but I will be soon and then will try to attach the other video clips I have. Did you know that this episode of “Larry’s Country Dinner” with Ray Stevens was the last original taped episode.....at least for now. Renae the waitress said there are many years of reruns to be shown now and some have not been seen by viewers. This does make me sad, just like when they stopped making “Country’s Family Reunion” original episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello...yes, I knew that Ray's episode was the final one of the season. I think they'll be back taping new episodes in the spring of 2023...there's nothing on their Facebook page indicating that this was the final episode of the entire series. On the video section of their Facebook page they have a video of Ray singing "Dry Bones" from a few years ago when Larry was taping the show at Ray's CabaRay showroom. There's a few other video clips from his appearances in the video section of Larry's Facebook page but there's still no official video upload from the recent appearance, though.

      Delete

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...