December 23, 2012

Merry Christmas from Ray Stevens...

Hello all the fans of Ray Stevens!! It's been almost 5 days since I've written a blog entry and that's because of a stretch of bad weather that came through here...on the climatic final day we had wind gusts of nearly 50mph and so I had the computer off the entire time. What do I find when I come back on-line? I find some new Christmas gifts from Ray Stevens!! The first of which is a music video of "Redneck Christmas". This is the second music video production on one of the songs from Christmas Through a Different Window. The first music video to emerge was "Nightmare Before Christmas" a few years ago. Here we have "Redneck Christmas" in all it's rural glory. Those familiar with Ray's videos are sure to be aware that Ray and Sabrina, who I've nicknamed The TSA couple, are in the spotlight in this latest music video. The two of them first appeared in this rural characterization in Ray's TSA video, "The Skies Just Ain't Friendly Anymore" and later the two characters appeared in the "Obama Budget Plan" video and now they appear in "Redneck Christmas"...



I received an e-mail alert during my on-line hiatus informing me of a new Ray Stevens video. The message indicated that it was a Merry Christmas video from Ray Stevens. Well, after reading the message I clicked the video link. I was thinking that it would be a short 1 or 2 minute video clip of Ray saying Merry Christmas with members of his band or office staff. I was surprised to find out that the link took me to yet another new music video...this time to a song that has never been available until now. Titled "Merry Christmas", Ray sings about the meaning of Christmas and the decades long push to remove the phrase, "Merry Christmas", from books, TV shows, magazines, radio programs, music, cartoons, and other forms of entertainment. In the song Ray makes an all too true point that those who wish to celebrate the holidays as they see fit should have the freedom to do so but many times the politically correct zealots want to protest and raise a fuss if their points of view aren't adopted and executed nationally. It's wonderful... 



Ray's version of "Blue Christmas" became available on You Tube on December 21st. It had been available through AOL video for nearly 2 weeks, I think, before it's arrival on You Tube. It's gotten more than 2,000 views on You Tube. The two music videos above were uploaded earlier on Saturday December 22nd and so those are hot off the presses, too.



In addition to this, the items I ordered from Ray's web-store arrived this past Thursday. I initially purchased a DVD of Patriots and Politics and I'll soon write a brief review of that DVD and the concert it spotlights. The rest of the items I ordered a few days later and they arrived not long after the DVD.

This particular item is no stranger to long-time fans of Ray Stevens, I assume. Prior to it's arrival I had no idea when the songbook was originally released but after obtaining a copy I looked on the back and it shows 1991 as the copyright year. I had guessed that the image of Ray had to have been from the late '80s and the fact that the songbook included a song from his 1991 CD meant that it must have been published in 1991 or later, but not too much later. The songbook, as described, features the sheet music of a collection of songs associated with Ray Stevens. Lyrics are also included. I'm no musician so why did I purchase it? In a previous blog entry I explained that it's one of those rare kind of items that I felt I should have in my collection and at long last I have it. Some of the songs in the book are "Nashville", "Shriner's Convention", "Teenage Mutant Kung Fu Chickens", "Mr. Businessman", and "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow". This picture of Ray's been used on other products including At His Best, a 1992 MCA re-issue of 1989's Beside Myself.

The EP of "Blue Christmas" arrived. It came in a plain white carrying case, a paper sleeve to be more specific. I was assuming that it would arrive in a case showing the Clyde Records Christmas design that we see on the web-store product page but it didn't.

It had been more than a year since the release of the Spirit of '76 CD. I had purchased the digital download back in the spring of 2011 and never did get around to purchasing the physical CD. As you can see I finally have a copy of the CD. It's a collection of 11 political and topical songs and it's a companion to We the People, the 22 song collection that Ray issued in 2010. Those discovering the political/patriotic music of Ray Stevens through You Tube and love what you hear then you should definitely get your hands on Spirit of '76 as well as We the People. Also, the Let's Get Political book is another component to the topical and politically oriented music by Ray Stevens. It's the Spirit of '76 which contains the most recent topical songs that have been released as music videos on You Tube. The CD features five songs that have been issued as music video singles: "God Save Arizona", "The Skies Just Ain't Friendly Anymore", "Obama Budget Plan", "Mr. President - Mr. President", and "Grandpa Voted Democrat".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...