March 14, 2015

Ray Stevens: Just 9 more days...

Hello to all the Ray Stevens fans out there!! It's just 9 more days to go until the upcoming CD, Here We Go Again!, is officially released. It's been on Pre-order at all the major on-line music stores for several weeks.

I came across an ARTICLE promoting the upcoming CD and it also made mention of the song list, too. The author mentions that this CD is Ray's first all-comedy CD in nearly 10 years. This being 2015...and nearly 10 years ago would have most people thinking perhaps 2007...2008...if that's the case Ray had a comedy CD out at that time called Hurricane (which might be the CD that the author is referencing). The article is positive and informative. Until today I never knew that Player Records is one of Ray's independent labels. I learned that by reading the article I linked to. Since the release of that 2008 CD, though, Ray's been active in all kinds of projects...politically themed comedy and dramatic music videos posted on his YouTube channel dominated much of his output from late 2009 through early 2012. He's pulled back on the political humor just a bit, for the time being I assume, but every so often he'll come up with a political music video/song. He includes one on the upcoming CD, for example. The name of the political song is "You Didn't Build That"...but, of course, the lead-off single and video is at the forefront of the CD's publicity...

The up to date totals of unique views for Ray's current music video, "Taylor Swift is Stalkin' Me", is 66,593...a pickup of 3,510. You can see the music video HERE.

In a previous blog entry I mentioned that I'd be getting some Ray Stevens items that I purchased on eBay. Those items have since arrived and I'm going to post the images below...

This is one of Ray's biggest selling albums of all-time. Titled Greatest Hits it hit the market in 1987 as one of several projects released on Ray that year. The other projects issued in 1987 happened to be the studio album Crackin' Up, Greatest Hits Volume Two, and the direct market television album Get The Best of Ray Stevens. One of the commercials for the television album can be found on Ray's YouTube channel. Ronnie Pugh provided liner notes...they appear on the back of the LP. If you have the cassette, as I also do, the liner notes appear in medium print on the inside of the picture sleeve. The author makes no distinction in his notes about "Ahab the Arab" being the 1969 re-recording. He refers to the original recording year, 1962, but doesn't mention that the recording on the 1987 project is from 1969. As a result I grew up thinking that the "Ahab the Arab" found on this collection happened to be from 1962...and having thought that I was amazed at how little his voice had changed over the decades. I laugh, now, at my ignorance of his career at that point in time but you got to remember that I was just discovering his music. A release on Mercury Records titled Funny Man (from 1989) introduced me to the actual vocalizations of Ray Stevens in the early '60s. I was blown away...at first there was shock because I didn't expect to hear him sound like that (the typical Rhythm and Blues/pop crooner sounds) but I loved it...and I continue to love his music from all time periods.

The other LP that arrived, 1989's Beside Myself, is still sealed. I don't know if I'll open it up or not. I don't necessarily have to open it since I've got the songs on cassette and CD. I simply wanted the LP copy just to have it for my vinyl collection. I assume this to be the final vinyl LP released on Ray Stevens. I say that because I've never seen a vinyl copy of 1990's Lend Me Your Ears ever become available on eBay and I've never seen images of a vinyl LP of that particular release. Here's the 1989 album, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...