August 22, 2010

Let's Discuss Ray Stevens, Part Two...

I often love to celebrate the music of Ray Stevens...I shouldn't say often...as most people have come to realize after having read just one of my blogs that I always celebrate the music of Ray Stevens. There is usually an era of his career that I find myself highlighting and spotlighting the most and it's typically the late '70s and early '80s. I do this because I feel that particular point in his career is woefully under-rated, under-appreciated, and under-reported. This is the time period between 1976 and 1983 where Ray recorded a wonderful series of albums for both Warner Brothers, 1976-1979, and RCA, 1980-1982...adding in one album from 1983 for Mercury. I happen to love the material he recorded during this era...but I also happen to love all the other material as well from the various time periods in his career. However, because this late '70s and early '80s period of Ray's career is marked by love ballads and mellow pop-country songs with an occasional comedy song thrown in, there are some who disregard this era. It's something I'll never understand, though. Those who have issues with Ray's material from this era must not be listening to the same songs because these songs are Grade A, U.S. choice material. I'll name off some of the songs from this era...chances are once you hear them, if you haven't already, you'll love them as much as I do: "Cornball", "One and Only You", "You Are So Beautiful", "Can't Stop Dancing", "Once in Awhile", "Honky Tonk Waltz", "Save Me From Myself", "Get Crazy With Me", "Road Widow", "Feel the Music", "Dixie Hummingbird", "Junkie For You", "Set The Children Free", "You're Magic", "L'amour", "Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right", and several more!! Anyway, this callous disregard for Ray's late '70s and early '80s work brings me to another point I want to bring up...

A lot of modern-day critics and even some from the past always collectively accuse those such as myself, for example, as being "revisionists" or they say that we're unwilling to bring up any negative or seemingly negative aspect of whatever it happens to be that we're discussing. The bottom line is when you're a fan of a singer chances are you're going to support that person...meaning that whatever it is that comes along in their career you're more or less going to be an ardent supporter. In my opinion that's the definition of being a fan...it doesn't mean that you're being a revisionist or purposely ignoring any criticisms that the singer may get from others. As a fan you learn to zero in on the positives and shrug off the negatives. It's not that you ignore the criticisms...some of the critics are brutal and go over the top in their harsh remarks...but shrugging them off is the best way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...