December 30, 2018

Ray Stevens and the Upcoming Year...2019...

It's that time once again...we're very close to ending another calendar year...and although it hasn't become an annual tradition it's time for me to take a look at the upcoming year and the events and happenings in the career of Ray Stevens. Now, of course, I can only speculate on things that may happen and so I won't do too much of that but rather I'll focus on things that I know for certain. For example...2019 will mark the Golden Anniversary of everything Ray recorded in 1969 and this will include recordings found on his two albums that year: Gitarzan and Have a Little Talk With Myself. I won't go into detail about those two albums in this blog entry...I'll wait until we get to 2019 before I dive into those albums with my usual enthusiastic nature. Since 1969's recordings will reach 50 in 2019 that, of course, means his recordings from 1979 and 1989 reach 40 and 30 respectively. Ray never released any recordings in 1999 but he did issue recordings late in 2009 and those will reach 10 later this year but more on that in the second half of 2019.

Performing "Gitarzan" in concert is easily identified by the fact it's the only performance in which Ray is shown with a guitar. The song turns 50 next year and I've written down some notes regarding potential blog entry titles for when I take the plunge and write the Golden Anniversary blog entry. A brief look back on one of the major things that took place in 2018 in the career of Ray Stevens can be summed up in one word: CabaRay. The luxurious showroom on River Road in West Nashville opened it's doors in January this year and since we're on an anniversary kick I'll remark that the showroom reaches it's one year anniversary next month. The showroom had been in the planning stages for at least two years before it had it's grand opening in January 2018. There was a rather lengthy delay in the building's permit being cleared and given approval in spite of the fact that the land/property had already been purchased, cleared, and ready for construction but the land sat vacant during the long permit process. This meant that the showroom wouldn't be open by the summer of 2017 nor late 2017 as was hoped. The grand opening, as mentioned, happened in January of this year. There is a photo of Ray from the latter half of 2016 and it shows Ray holding the building permit with a big smile. I've got that photo in my collection...

There's a certain cliche that goes 'a picture is worth a thousand words' and this photo lives up to that expression. If you're a casual fan and do not follow the career of Ray Stevens as intently as I or some of the other fans do then you won't know just how agonizing and frustrating the process happened to be with the construction of the CabaRay on what seemed like permanent delay...but finally the building permit was issued. Even though we, as fans, personally had nothing to do with the process of getting the showroom constructed nor were we in any way part of the goings-on behind the scenes it nevertheless, for me anyway, was as agonizing as if I happened to be part of the goings-on. As a fan I, too, couldn't wait to see the showroom transformed from it's paper design and layout to an actual physical building one can walk into. A further explanation can be found within the next paragraph or two. I had never had the desire to visit Nashville or venture too far "from home" even though some may say that's a terrible mindset to not want to travel and "see the country" or "see the sights", etc. etc. I've always been a homebody and have always been happy just attending concerts of singers I like if they happen to appear within reasonable driving distance from where I live.

I don't go to sporting events either...I prefer to watch sports on TV or listen to the radio...but anyway I never had such a burning desire to travel to such a distant place as Nashville, Tennessee in my life until Ray's CabaRay showroom was opened to the public in January. I kept telling myself that I just had to visit the place. Strangely enough I never had that kind of overwhelming desire to visit a venue when he returned to his theater in Branson, Missouri in the mid 2000s even though by then I was now old enough to have attempted a trip down there. I was still a kid/teenager in the early 1990s when Ray was originally in Branson and so, obviously, it was completely out of the question back then and so it never entered my mind to visit Ray's Branson theater in person.

Anyway, my brother and I embarked on our trip/voyage to Nashville in March and we attended a concert at the CabaRay. I wrote a review of our time in Nashville and at the CabaRay back in March but I don't think I expressed the feeling I got when, from the car window, I saw the CabaRay sitting high atop the area...for me, seeing the CabaRay showroom in person with the big red letters across the front of the building spelling out the name of the showroom was like, for others, seeing the Hollywood letters on the mountain in California. I seriously want to attempt another visit to the CabaRay in 2019...but everything depends on vacation time where I work (and it getting approved in a timely manner) as well as the schedule of my brother. It's completely out of the question of my traveling to Nashville by myself and so that isn't an option.

One more look back on 2018...in August Ray received a star on the Music City Walk of Fame. There was a lot of publicity for the ceremony/event, I wrote several blog entries about it, and it played out like the Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony, actually. There were speakers at the event of the civic variety and each star that received this Walk of Fame honor also had their career highlights/statistics spoken of, too, by those doing the presentations...

The Music City Walk of Fame now includes a Star honoring Ray Stevens and as you can see in the collage off to the left the equally legendary artist, Ricky Skaggs, did the formal induction of Ray's star on the Walk of Fame. I'd seen the Walk of Fame when I was in Nashville but this was months before Ray received a star. In 2019 I plan on visiting Nashville and the CabaRay in a more warmer time of the year, too...with the added bonus of seeing Ray's Walk of Fame star. As one could guess the Music City Walk of Fame is similar to Hollywood's Walk of Fame...and there's a certain legendary actor that has had a star on the Walk of Fame going back several decades and in a lot of his films he wore a star and I'm talking about John Wayne. As many Ray Stevens fans already know he recorded a song/tribute to John Wayne in 1989 and it's on the Beside Myself album which turns 30 in 2019. The writer of the song is Ray's long-time associate/collaborator, Buddy Kalb. It's not a heavy, deep tribute song but actually more along the lines of a clever tribute using movie titles and characters played by John Wayne...and I happen to find these kinds of tribute songs much more appealing and endearing than some kind of music creation or instrumental which would have little to do with the subject being honored or given tribute. The song I'm referring to is "Marion Michael Morrison"...which, at the time, was considered to be John Wayne's birth name but in the years following it's been changed to Marion Mitchell Morrison and I've also seen his birth name listed as Marion Robert Morrison. Whichever one is ultimately correct is irrelevant because everybody knows him as John Wayne or The Duke...and you can sing the song just as easily no matter if the middle name is Michael, Mitchell, or Robert...the melody will remain intact. Some of the films mentioned are The Sands of Iwo Jima, The Flying Tigers, and a couple of his characters mentioned in the song are McQ and McClintock.

Anyway...I have Beside Myself on vinyl and on cassette. I don't have a photo of myself with the vinyl album but here's the cassette copy. I also have it on CD under a different name, At His Best. The album, released in 1989, was his sixth studio album for MCA Records and at the time his final for the label (he'd return in the mid 1990s for a couple of projects). The album broke up the pattern of his previous five which were all comedy. This one presented 10 songs altogether (five ballads and five comedy). The ballads are featured on side one and I believe that was by design...his serious side hadn't been represented on records since 1983...and so the first five songs on this album showcase his serious side and probably by coincidence a more serious looking image of Ray is seen first on the album cover seated next to the comical/clown image of Ray of which takes center stage on side two of the album. The album's lead off is the appropriately titled "Your Bozo's Back Again". The third track is "Marion Michael Morrison" which I previously wrote about in the above paragraph. Just recently an article became available centering around John Wayne but more to the point it was an interview of Chris Mitchum (the son of the late actor, Robert Mitchum) and it was conducted by Jeremy Roberts...a name that should ring a bell with the more in-depth fans of Ray Stevens. It's Jeremy whose conducted interviews with Ray as well as Buddy Kalb in recent years...and yes, he even conducted an interview with me of all people centering around my frustrations of why Ray isn't in the Country Music Hall of Fame. You can read each of the three interviews by clicking the following links: Ray Stevens Buddy Kalb and Yours Truly. The interviews were published in December 2016 (Ray), June 2017 (Buddy), and July 2017 (mine). In the Buddy Kalb interview you'll see mention of the upcoming CabaRay and how, at the time, the parties involved were expecting to have the showroom completed and ready for it's grand opening in September of last year...so, as I was referring to earlier, it's completion and eventual grand opening took longer than expected.

The latest interview of Chris Mitchum and the connection to John Wayne can be found HERE. The title of the piece is 'John Wayne built my career'. As you'll see when you visit the page it's the third part of an interview. The second part was published in November and titled 'When Robert Mitchum considered Elvis Presley for Thunder Road' and part one was earlier in November and titled 'Chris Mitchum's Fluke Showdown with the King of Cool'. Once you visit the link featuring commentary about John Wayne that I provided you can visit the author's home page and locate the other two parts of the interview and find all of his interviews, in general, but part three ties into the career of Ray Stevens in an indirect way given the recording of "Marion Michael Morrison" in 1989. On the left hand side of each interview there's an applause symbol. This is the site's version of a 'like' button so make sure you click the applause symbol when you read the articles.

I look for Ray to release some sort of audio CD in 2019...the last album was the Christmas release Mary and Joseph and the Baby and Me (2016) and before that Here We Go Again! (2015). A couple of months ago Ray had made some commentary on social media that he'd been in the recording studio and usually that means some kind of recording or an entire CD is on the way and so perhaps the early half of 2019 will feature new songs from Ray!? His CabaRay Nashville television series continues to air in local syndication on PBS and I'm hoping new episodes of the series are produced in 2019. An elusive Season Seven has yet to materialize...but the previous six seasons of the series are currently airing on scattered local PBS stations across the country...and the first two seasons are also available on DVD. In addition to the anniversary milestones for specific songs/albums by Ray Stevens in the year 2019 the biggest milestone will happen a month from now...technically less than a month from now...on January 24, 2019. Dedicated fans of Ray should know the importance of that day without my having to say it. This might be the last blog entry I write for 2018...but perhaps not...I may squeeze in one more before the calendar flips to January. Whatever I decide just remember that I'll continue to follow the career of Ray Stevens in 2019 just as I have the last several decades and I'll continue offering an informative, detailed, opinionated, and enthusiastic blog for those that are seriously interested in the career/music of Ray Stevens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...