March 9, 2021

Ray Stevens sings "Indian Love Call"...

Hello once again!! I came across an upload on YouTube earlier today of a Ray Stevens performance I'd never seen before. The appearance originated on British television in the mid 1970s on a television program hosted by Mike Yarwood. In the video clip Ray is singing "Indian Love Call" and he's got a beard. The one that uploaded the video says it's from a Christmas 1976 television program. It had me thinking a little bit...by the time December 1976 rolled around Ray had already released several singles and an album for Warner Brothers records and so why perform "Indian Love Call" and not something more recent? 

Ray's release of "Indian Love Call" was in the summer of 1975. The single was released internationally like a lot of Ray's music happened to be during the 1970s. In the Netherlands and Belgium the "Indian Love Call" single was backed with "Sunshine" as a B-side. In the United Kingdom, here in the U.S., and almost everywhere else the single was backed with "Piece of Paradise", a song that was a B-side exclusive until it appeared on a compilation album in 1998. 

I'd seen some information online suggesting that this television special actually aired early in 1976 but was taped in the latter half of 1975. Regardless of when the show was taped it was called Look, Mark Yarwood Christmas 1976. I'm not going to embed a video clip...I'm going to post a link that you can watch HERE. I do this so that, in the future, if the video gets taken down for whatever reason I won't have an empty video box with a disclaimer reading that the video content has been removed. I took several screen caps, though, and I'll conclude this blog entry with one of those screen caps...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...