August 28, 2022

Ray Stevens: August 25th Opry Country Classics Re-Cap...

Hello Ray Stevens fans!! Did any of you happen to hear Ray Stevens on the Opry Country Classics radio show this past Thursday night? Ray made an appearance on August 25th. I knew of this upcoming appearance but I didn't have the time to put together a blog entry promoting the appearance. I thought that the episode would be put in the Archive section of WSM radio's website. There's a section of their webpage called Archives and it lists the various programs that are archived...and Opry Country Classics is one of those archived programs. However, the episode Ray guest starred on has yet to be added to the archives. I'll continue to check their archive section and include a link in a future blog entry. In the meantime, though, several online fans of Ray Stevens that I frequently message back and fourth with were able to hear the show Thursday night while I was away from the house at work. I was given a broad overview of Ray's performance. Opry Country Classics is hosted by Larry Gatlin. It's a seasonal program...meaning that it airs for a couple of months per year. It isn't a weekly series. The program features several guests and one spotlight artist. The spotlight artist is the headliner and so that artist comes on in the final segment and gets to perform more songs, and, given the show's name the spotlight artist will be someone with considerable longevity in the music business. Ray has made guest appearances on this series before and I've heard the previous appearances. Hopefully the latest show will become available on WSM radio's archive page and I'll be able to hear the show for myself and add in more detail. I was informed that Ray performed "Gitarzan", "It's Me Again, Margaret", "Mississippi Squirrel Revival", and "Everything is Beautiful". There wasn't much talk of the CabaRay showroom or any new albums on the horizon according to the other Ray Stevens fans I was in contact with. Given that I haven't heard the performances, yet, I am unable to relate as to whether he changed anything such as lyrical emphasis or if he added or deleted lyrics. I was told that in between the songs he told some of his jokes but I'm unsure which ones...he tells numerous jokes which often lead into the next song he's going to do. 

Since this is a re-cap of Ray's appearance on Opry Country Classics I'll close out this blog entry with Ray's marvelous salute to Tennessee. It's a song from 1983 titled "A Piece of Paradise Called Tennessee". It originally appeared on his 1983 album, Me, on the Mercury/Polygram label. Another reason I'm adding this video embed is to give the blog entry a bit more interaction instead of it being essay form and nothing else. I know you're going to love seeing this performance again...and if it's new to you you're going to fall in love with the song just as I did. After the performance you're hear Ray talk about the song and the debut of The Nashville Network. This performance is from the launch night of the cable channel in March 1983. The channel went off the air, as a country music outlet, in 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...