August 13, 2022

Ray Stevens CabaRay Nashville Performance: "Strangers in the Night"

Hello Ray Stevens fans!! Have you seen the most recent YouTube upload of Ray Stevens CabaRay Nashville? I'll be writing a blog entry about that episode when I get home from work later tonight but for now I'm writing about a performance of "Strangers in the Night" at the CabaRay showroom by Ray Stevens. Ray recorded a salute to the songs of Frank Sinatra and titled it Ray Stevens Sings Sinatra...Say What?!?. It was released on Ray's own Clyde Records in 2008 and then it was distributed later by Curb Records. The CD contains numerous Sinatra standards and several songs that other pop artists popularized but just happened to have also been recorded by Sinatra in his career. One of those songs is "Young at Heart". That song was recorded by dozens of pop artists...I first heard of it through a Bing Crosby recording and I also know Jimmy Durante sang it, too. I was not aware of it's connection to Frank Sinatra until this CD came along and I did some research on the song itself. 

Ray also recorded "All The Way", "I Get a Kick Out of You", "High Hopes", "That's Life", "Witchcraft", "I've Got You Under My Skin", "Night and Day", "The Tender Trap"...and, as mentioned, "Strangers in the Night". It's a 10 track album. Some may wonder why Ray didn't also do renditions of "New York, New York", "My Kind of Town (Chicago Is)", "A Very Good Year", "My Way", or "Love and Marriage". I wondered the same thing myself back when the CD was released and my guess then, as now, is those particular songs are just too well established (music arrangements) in the general public's mind that it would appear nearly impossible to change the presentation of those particular songs. "New York, New York" has that world famous intro that it's impossible to hear the song without that kick off...the same holds true for the intro to "Love and Marriage". I assume Ray could've come up with different instrumentation for that song if he would've chosen to to a rendition of it but it's tied to the sitcom, Married...With Children, so much now that to change the arrangement would more or less baffle some people who probably think Sinatra recorded the song specifically for that sitcom. But here's the legendary Ray Stevens singing "Strangers in the Night"...if you don't have the Sinatra salute CD you can look it up on YouTube or online music sites.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...