June 14, 2020

Ray Stevens sings "I'm My Own Grandpaw"...

Hello all...I was going to write a blog entry about something else that appeared on social media from Ray Stevens within the last several days but while I was writing the blog entry prior to this one Ray uploaded a video performance from CabaRay Nashville of "I'm My Own Grandpaw". Ray had recorded this song for his 1987 novelty album, Crackin' Up. I was not aware, back then, of the song's lengthy history and so I assumed it was a new song Ray had recorded for that album. I was 10 years old going on 11 when the 1987 album was released. "I'm My Own Grandpaw" dates back to 1947 and the novelty duo, Lonzo and Oscar. The two of them, along with Homer and Jethro, were massively popular novelty acts in country music. In fact Homer and Jethro, as well as an assorted list of recording acts in both country and pop, did versions of "I'm My Own Grandpaw". I'm using the spelling as 'grandpaw' because that is how it's spelled on Crackin' Up and it's the spelling used on a lot of releases of the song by other recording acts in an attempt at visual humor. Ray mentions that the story of the song was inspired by anecdotes attributed to Mark Twain that one of the song's writers came across. The song's writers are Moe Jaffe and Dwight Latham.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...