March 18, 2019

Ray Stevens is Elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame...

There are thousands of things I could say about this monumental day...let it be remembered by all the fans of Ray Stevens out there that on March 18, 2019 in a press conference Bill Cody said a phrase that all of us Ray Stevens fans have been wanting to hear for years...for decades in some cases. That phrase being that Ray Stevens is now a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame. Let's let that sink in for a moment or two. Ray Stevens is going to be enshrined for all time in the Country Music Hall of Fame...soon his plaque will hang along side the likes of those he worked for or worked with during his long career in the music industry. If you've been familiar with this fan-created blog page centering around Ray Stevens then you should fully be aware of how much I've given my thoughts about the Country Music Hall of Fame and how I've long felt it a travesty that Ray's talents and accomplishments have been over-looked. When I got on-line for the first time back in 2002 on a Web-TV (I've since graduated, first, to a home computer but then graduated myself later on to a lap-top which I currently use) but anyway when I got on-line for the first time I made an argument for Ray being inducted into the Hall of Fame. The most common reaction from people was "why? he's a comedian.". Anytime I would get a reaction like that I'd offer factual evidence showing that the Hall of Fame isn't immune from inducting comics (Minnie Pearl, Homer and Jethro, Rod Brasfield, Whitey Ford) or inducting performers largely known for comedy (Little Jimmy Dickens, Grandpa Jones, The Carlisles). No matter my argument it always felt like a losing cause.

Later on, whenever the on-line conversation turned to Ray and why he wasn't yet a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, I'd offer my reasons for why he should be there and why it's been long overdue yet the common reaction from people on social media had moved from "why? he's a comedian." to "why? he hasn't had a lot of hits.". I was contacted several years ago by an author/blogger/writer to give my thoughts as to why Ray hadn't become a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame. It was conducted in interview form and I've posted it a couple of times in the past. I feel that, however large or small, perhaps the remarks and the facts presented could have had an influence (at last!) and the voters decided it was finally time to elect Ray Stevens. That interview I participated in can be found HERE. There are two interviews, actually. The first one features my reaction/answers to the interviewer's questions and then there's an interview the writer conducted with Ray's longtime associate, Buddy Kalb.

During the press conference Bill Cody made mention of several aspects of Ray's early career. He brought up Bill Lowery and this particular single, "Silver Bracelet". The press conference was carried live on YouTube during the 10am - 11am Central time zone and while watching it they had a live comments section off to the left and even though I knew Bill Cody was referring to Ray in the introduction and career milestone recap I fought the urge to blurt out that it was Ray Stevens that Bill was referring to. I didn't want to spoil it for those that maybe were not aware of the performer Bill was speaking of. Once Bill made mention of "Ahab the Arab" I think everyone in attendance and everyone watching on YouTube knew for sure Ray Stevens was heading to the Country Music Hall of Fame and so I let out all of my excitement right then and there in the YouTube live chat screen. In the photo at the top of the blog entry it's me at an exhibit showcasing Ray's career. When I visited Nashville last year I got my picture taken at the Hall of Fame...and one of those, as you can see, included the Everything is Beautiful Exhibit. Now, should I make it back to Nashville at some point this year, I hope to get my photo taken next to the Ray Stevens plaque at the Country Music Hall of Fame...in addition to attending a concert at his CabaRay showroom.

A local television station in Nashville has uploaded the reactions from the newest Country Music Hall of Fame members. YouTube broadcast the press conference live this morning. Bill Cody, as mentioned, presided over the event. This video features Ray's reactions and you could see the emotional toll it was taking...maybe it was me but it looked like he was actually fighting back the urge to cry a little bit...and I say it in that way because throughout the entire time that I've been a fan of his I've never seen him get emotional in that way. He can be emotional in performance...dramatic, defiant, whimsical, sad, boisterous, or hilarious...but crying is something I've never seen him do.



I will be writing more blog entries as we get closer to the official induction ceremony but I just had to get something posted on this blog page on such a monumental day in the career of Ray Stevens!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...