March 25, 2019

Ray Stevens: Forty Five at Forty...

Hello one and all...it was this week 40 years ago that a certain single from newly elected member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, Ray Stevens, hit the market. Ray's single, "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" (from the pen of Dale Gonyea) made it's debut on the charts on March 24, 1979. There's a social media group that I follow on Facebook and they typically post messages about the release dates and years of various pop and adult-contemporary singles and albums. I've never made it a part of my fan experience to keep track of or remember the actual dates that recordings debuted on the charts and so, like many of you, I rely on several on-line sites that provide such information. I've written blog entries in the past about this recording...and before you could even wonder...yes it happens to be one of my all-time favorite recordings from Ray Stevens.


The song is satirical and it's musically performed as a serious melodramatic ballad. It's within the lyrics of the song that the satire and humor emerges. Ray describes all of the bad luck and unfortunate goings-on in his life and looks to the songs of Manilow to comfort him. The single, like many labeled 'novelty', had a built-in resistance from radio but ultimately it became what the media like to refer to as a surprise hit. The song reached the Hot 100 pop chart (to date it's Ray's last entry on the pop chart) but the more surprising finish came within the radio format in which Barry Manilow had ruled for nearly five years: "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" peaked just outside the Top-10 on the Adult-Contemporary chart during the final week of April. The peak position can be found on the April 28, 1979 issue of the Billboard Adult-Contemporary chart. The single had a meteoric rise...it reached it's peak position in it's 5th week on the Adult-Contemporary chart. It's anyone's guess if the consumers back then were fully aware of the song's meaning or if the radio listeners simply loved the performance and the music and bought the single for those reasons alone...without actually taking in what the lyrics were saying.


As I've done in other blog entries surrounding this song I make it a point to bring up the fact that I'd never heard of Barry Manilow before...and so I didn't get the references made within the lyrics of the song...but I loved Ray's performance and the music of "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" so much that I searched for something by Barry Manilow in the music section of a local retail store. I came across a couple of compilation releases. When I looked at the songs on one of the compilation CD's I immediately realized that during the recitation part of Ray's recording he's named several Barry Manilow song titles. Once I heard "I Write the Songs" it was a revelation...it has almost the same intro as "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow". Anyway...I have quite a few albums by Manilow but it's all because a certain 1979 recording from Ray Stevens inspired me to find out who this Barry Manilow happened to be. In 1987 MCA Records released an album on Ray titled Greatest Hits, Volume Two. That compilation is where I heard "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" for the first time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...