October 21, 2019

Ray Stevens: Welcome to the Country Music Hall of Fame!!

As I take in everything that went on yesterday surrounding the Medallion Ceremony which formally inducted Ray Stevens, Jerry Bradley, and Brooks and Dunn, into the Country Music Hall of Fame let me state the obvious for those that have visited this fan-created blog page over the years: I've been a fan of Ray Stevens for many, many, many years...going to back to the late 1980s when my grandfather and I found one of his songs on a jukebox in a local pizza restaurant. That song, "Mississippi Squirrel Revival", introduced me to Ray's music/career. My grandfather had known of Ray's music for a much longer period of time but it wasn't until that song came along did I know of Ray Stevens. We went out to a local K-Mart store and he purchased four of your cassettes: He Thinks He's Ray Stevens, Surely You Joust, Greatest Hits, and Crackin' Up. A lot of my teen years were spent listening to those four albums and others from Ray that I came across as the years went by.

I started a blog page devoted to your career and music back in 2008 and even prior to that I posted on message boards and other social media outlets championing for your election into the Country Music Hall of Fame. In every passing year I became more and more disheartened as you were overlooked by the CMA Hall of Fame voters...and just this past year, 2018, I thought you'd be in that class of inductee's but your name wasn't called. Then, in March of 2019, a surreal moment arrived as I was listening to WSM radio personality Bill Cody make the announcement of the Class of 2019 and when he said "born in Clarkdale, Georgia..." I immediately knew who he was referencing.

Ray Stevens! You've long deserved induction...your fans and those in the business that appreciate your contributions to Music City, U.S.A. over the decades know you deserve to be in the Country Music Hall of Fame and at long last it's happened. I know it drives your critics absolutely insane...believe me, I've seen several tasteless, cynical, and ignorant reactions to your election and ultimate induction into the Hall of Fame throughout this calendar year. What those critics will probably never understand are the intangibles that come along with that relationship between artist and fan. To the critics of your induction, apparently, the Hall of Fame is to represent a shrine to the most popular, largest selling artists to perform country music and they fail to respect or acknowledge creative intangible contributions both on stage and behind the scenes which, I think, go a long way in determining who gets into the Hall of Fame year after year. Your plaque will be on display in the Hall of Fame forever.

I've come across a couple of television station websites that feature video content from the Medallion Ceremony. A video from a local newscast on Channel 5 in Nashville...



The songs performed during the Ray Stevens portion of the ceremony were "Misty" by Ricky Skaggs, "Everything is Beautiful" by The McCrary Sisters, and based on the photo's I've seen a very memorable take on "The Streak" by broadcaster Keith Bilbrey and country comic, James Gregory. There is another video clip from a local channel in Knoxville, TN featuring footage from the Medallion Ceremony but it's super brief...less than a minute...



There have been a wide variety of photos from the Medallion Ceremony make their way onto the internet. The photo's that have hit the internet weren't issued by the Country Music Hall of Fame but, instead, from other on-line sources. I have saved mostly all of the Ray Stevens photos that I've come across...even his plaque!! Oh yes...I've been able to read the inscription on his Hall of Fame plaque and so obviously I've seen the image of Ray on the plaque and it's a very good likeness. I'm going to hold off on posting the images for a couple of days. I'd prefer the Hall of Fame website release their photo's first and then I'll begin posting what photo's I've come across in future blog entries. As a teaser, though, here's a photo of Ray Stevens during his acceptance speech that I came across while doing image searches for Ray earlier this morning. I will have more to say on Ray's induction and the ceremony in future blog entries, too. Ray Stevens fans need to savor the moment...it's one of the greatest achievements in country music.

Ray Stevens: 10-20-19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...