January 24, 2020

Happy Birthday, Ray Stevens!!

Okay, okay...yes I already posted an early birthday blog entry about Ray Stevens...but today is his actual birthday and I'm still on the internet and so I've decided to compose a second birthday blog entry. One could never accuse me of not being a certified, one hundred percent Ray Stevens fanatic. So, Don't Laugh Now at the abundance of birthday blogging I've been doing, but Happy Birthday, once again, Ray Stevens!! Don't Laugh Now, as you see off to the left, is a Ray Stevens album from 1982. I have it on vinyl and only recently I came into possession of it's cassette counterpart. I've got cassette copies of 1980's Shriner's Convention and 1982's Don't Laugh Now...I'm always on the look out for a cassette copy of 1981's One More Last Chance. That would complete the cassette format of Ray's studio albums for RCA. I have them on vinyl...the same holds true for the RCA Greatest Hits album from 1983. I have it in cassette format and vinyl. Now, given that I have cassette copies of albums issued in 1980, 1982, and 1983 I know a cassette copy of One More Last Chance exists. It's only a matter of coming across a copy for sale. I've never seen one come up for sale on-line.

Yesterday, the birthday boy uploaded his performance of "Cletus McHicks and His Band from the Sticks". This is the only time, as far as I know, in which he performed the song in concert. I'd never seen him sing it on any television series. The performance comes from a concert at his former venue in Branson, Missouri in the early '90s. It's on the VHS home video, More Ray Stevens Live!. The song appears on his 1990 album, Lend Me Your Ears.



Okay, now, did you keep up with all of those internal rhymes and end rhymes? It's a tongue twister for sure but he performed it like a pro...but then again that's not a surprise...he co-wrote the song with Buddy Kalb.

When Ray recorded over 90 songs for his Encyclopedia of Recorded Comedy Music one of those songs happened to be "Aba Daba Honeymoon", a novelty dating back to 1914 but largely recalled as an early 1950s novelty hit for Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter as well as a hit for another duo, Richard Hayes and Kitty Kallen. A music video of the song emerged on YouTube in 2017...it's a song one wouldn't suspect could be made into a music video given that it's hook is it's pure lyrical wackiness...but Ray Stevens managed to turn it into a music video in 2013 and it made it's way onto YouTube in 2017...



Serious, comedic, wacky, silly, satiric, pop, country, gospel, patriotic, and everything else...the genius of Ray Stevens is that he's all of those things. So, here's wishing the legendary Ray Stevens a Happy Birthday...finally making it to the Country Music Hall of Fame this past year; seen below is Ray Stevens wearing his gold medallion which was presented to him by Ralph Emery during the official Country Music Hall of Fame induction gala in October 2019.

Ray Stevens; 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...