January 22, 2020

Ray Stevens: Happy Early Birthday!!!

Hello one and all!!! I've been having some technical issues with my computer and I did a system restore and it seemed to fix whatever problems I was having. I couldn't get onto the internet since yesterday afternoon. My computer would begin setting up but it wouldn't connect me to Windows...this kept up several times. Finally I shut off the computer and this morning I got back on the computer and on a whim decided to do a system restore and, as mentioned, it seemed to fix things. I'm not going to take any chances though...it might be a fluke and I might find myself unable to get onto the internet later and so I decided, since I'm on-line at the moment, to write my annual birthday post. Ray Stevens birthday is this coming Friday (January 24th) and yes, you perhaps could guess it, I was depressed a little that I was unable to get onto the internet. I wondered how long could it last. I wondered if I'd not be able to get onto the internet well past Friday...I didn't want to write a belated birthday blog entry...and so I'm here writing an early birthday blog entry just in case I have some technical issues with my computer between later today and Friday. As you see off to the left it's Ray's Country Music Hall of Fame plaque. Ray was elected in March 2019 but the formal induction took place in October...so he's been enshrined as an official member for only a couple of months. Ray will reach 81 years of age this coming Friday and in a couple of months he'll be kicking off season three at his CabaRay showroom. If you've read some of my recent blog entries I've mentioned how anxious the fans are in anticipation of something new to see release this year. Now, of course, I'm only making assumptions but I feel Ray will issue new music this year. It's anyone's guess as to what that new music will be...he's spoken of several projects...and so when the time comes and he releases a new CD we'll all salivate over it. It's a bit strange writing an early birthday blog entry...you're not in the moment and the immediacy factor is a non-factor...but should I still have internet connection this coming Friday maybe I'll post another birthday blog...stranger things have happened.

1993
Throughout his lengthy career Ray Stevens has won his share of awards and has dozens of Gold and Platinum selling singles, albums, and home videos. He's won two Grammy awards and for nine years in a row (1986 through 1994) the readers of Music City News magazine voted him Comedian of the Year. In addition to those awards he has also been the recipient of dozens of music publisher awards. There isn't any kind of recognition, as far as an award goes, of unique views of on-line music videos (as far as I know). Ray has received millions upon millions of unique views for a string of music videos that were, initially, only available on YouTube and social media in general. The music video releases acted as promotional tools/publicity and it created awareness for Ray's music in such a profound way that the traditional/conventional route of getting music to the masses was side stepped but more or less bypassed entirely. Ray issued a couple of CD's inspired by the phenomenal success of the on-line music videos...as well as a DVD titled Internet Video Hits. The CD's arrived in 2010 and 2011 titled We The People and Spirit of '76 respectively...and in Ray's case the on-line music video had replaced the traditional CD single as a marketing/publicity tool and the audio of those music videos were part of those two CD releases. His meteoric rise with viral videos on social media also led to a number of appearances on cable television, talk radio, and a stage show at The Welk Theatre for a limited run.

2018
The one and only Ray Stevens in performance at his CabaRay showroom just west of Nashville on River Road. As you could probably guess he's performing "Gitarzan". Chet Atkins, Ralph Emery, or Norro Wilson nicknamed Ray the energizer bunny...and approaching 81 and still as active as ever...it's an appropriate nickname. I'll be on the look out for photos of Ray taken on his upcoming birthday and if I'm still able to get internet connection I'll be posting those kind of photos this coming Friday, too. Ray Stevens was born Harold Ray Ragsale in Clarkdale, Georgia on January 24, 1939. He has a brother, John. Their parents are Willis and Frances Ragsdale. John wrote a couple of songs that Ray recorded...most of you know what John looks like. He's appeared in a number of Ray's comedy music videos and if you were able to catch Ray at his previous venue in Branson, Missouri you would've seen John as the emcee. In the "It's Me Again, Margaret" music video John is one of the policemen...the one seen with a sucker in his mouth. John also played the role of Clyde in Ray's 1995 video movie, Get Serious!, a character that's none too happy about his name being used for a fictional camel. That movie was originally only available on VHS. It's since become available on DVD. If you've never even heard of that movie then you need to visit Ray's web-store and purchase a copy of the movie for yourselves. I have it on VHS and I purchased the DVD copy once it became available. I've pondered this in some of my recent blog entries...what lays ahead for the legendary Ray Stevens? Outside of the CabaRay kicking off in March it's anyone's guess...but here's wishing Ray Stevens a very happy early birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...