February 3, 2020

Ray Stevens: 45 at 59...

If you've been a fan of Ray Stevens for a lengthy time or if you've read various blog entries that I've written over the years then you should be aware that I like to cover all periods of Ray's career. Some websites prefer only to bring up specific recordings but not here...I'm likely to write blog entries about any number of his recordings. In my previous blog entry from about an hour ago I was writing about a new song he performed at his CabaRay showroom in West Nashville, Tennessee. In this blog entry I'm traveling back 59 years to 1961. If you're something of a Ray Stevens fanatic as I am then 1961 may have you thinking about "Jeremiah Peabody's Green and Purple Pills". It's an obvious assumption given that it's the single that put Ray Stevens into the Hot 100 pop singles chart for the very first time that year. However, in this case, I'm referring to a single that was released in October of 1961. "Scratch My Back", the A-side, is an uptempo sing-a-long and whimsical but the B-side is what I'm focusing on...his bluesy rendition of "When You Wish Upon a Star".

The B-side has long been associated with the Walt Disney company and I like how it was originally performed by Jiminy Cricket's voice actor, Cliff Edwards. The original, or most well known version, is vocally performed as a slow ballad with a large orchestration accompaniment. In Ray's version, which you'll hear below, it's in the tradition of classic rhythm and blues...in my opinion. I don't dissect music styles to the extent that some out there happen to do but when I hear Ray's version of "When You Wish Upon a Star" I get in my mind that classic bluesy sound which Ray began falling in love with in his teenage years according to all biographies as well as his memoir, Ray Stevens' Nashville. As a word of caution I'll alert you all to the fact that Ray's recording leaves out several verses heard in the original and so if you're expecting to hear all the verses then you may be a tad bit disappointed. Ray's rendition is decidedly more urgent with a lot of bluesy overtones...in most cases he keeps the original melody in spite of it's different execution in musical style. The video clip on YouTube uses an image of the single release in Australia. The recording, as of this writing, has never appeared on any compilation album released on Ray Stevens or any studio album released by Ray Stevens. It has remained a B-side exclusive to this day. There have been various audio clips, one of those that you'll hear below, have been available on YouTube on and off for years and that's been the only exposure for the obscure Ray Stevens recording. The video embed below is the most recent audio upload of this rare recording.



I came across a blog entry on a website called Medium. I have pasted links to that website before in this blog. There's an author over there that's written several articles about Ray Stevens and at one time interviewed me. This time around it's another author and it's an article from March 2018. I knew the article existed but I'd never posted a link to it, as far as I know, but I'm correcting that now. The article is a dissection, from the author's point of view, of the 1970 Ray Stevens single "Everything is Beautiful". You can read that article HERE. Feel free to leave a comment, as I did, and give the article a hand clap rating to show you appreciate positive articles centering around Ray Stevens and his music. The usual author whose writings I've shared before on this blog page has updated some of his previous articles. One of those is an article written titled 'Streakin' Through the hits with witty wordsmith Ray Stevens' from December 13, 2016. In the introduction he edited in a reference to Ray's 2019 induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame...but at the time of the interview with Ray there was no indication or hint in sight that three years later Ray would finally be enshrined in the Country Music Hall of Fame. You can read Ray's interview from December 2016 by clicking HERE. Likewise, feel free to leave a comment and give it a hand clap rating to show you liked the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...