February 9, 2020

Ray Stevens: More than 100 Million YouTube unique views...

Hello one and all!! I was over on YouTube looking over some stats surrounding the video clips/music videos from Ray Stevens. As of this writing the combined number of unique views of the various videos uploaded to his YouTube channel currently sits at 111,624,798!!! So, it's a little more than an even 100 million.

I found myself looking through the stats because in the comment section over on the official YouTube page for the video clip advertising his 2015 CD, Here We Go Again!, as February's sale of the month in his on-line store, I left a reply addressing a statement made by someone else that said, and I'm paraphrasing: "...probably no one born after 2000 has any idea who Ray Stevens is...".

In my reply I openly wondered if the comment was a baited statement just waiting for someone to bite...of which I gladly bit because it sounded like a statement that was partially true and I felt I could offer a factual reply and explain how, as a recording artist, you can make a comfortable living without your music ever making an appearance on a weekly chart. If you find an audience and they like what you do and you continue to reach people and build your audience and they purchase your music or attend your concerts, etc. etc. then you don't actually need your image and music plastered all over entertainment magazines and on radio.

The reply I gave, specifically, was: "Oh well, it's their loss, even though it sounds like a baited statement just waiting for someone to bite which I'm gladly doing. The recently inducted Country Music Hall of Fame legend, Ray Stevens, I don't think relies on age specific demographics or ever did...pure entertainment is all that's necessary...but you're somewhat accurate about those born after 2000...but I'd argue that he's known by a lot of people under 35. It isn't just a collection of people 60 and older watching his YouTube videos. He has his own slice of the gigantic internet pie.".

Here's some facts you can't argue with...

He's had a YouTube channel since 2009 and he's had his own website since, at least, the late 1990s. I came onto the internet by way of Web-TV in 2002 and Ray had a website then and he has one still. The design of his website and product availability in his web-store has obviously changed over the years but he's had an internet presence for nearly 20 years. The YouTube channel hit the internet on July 13, 2009. As I mentioned at the top of this blog entry the total number of combined unique views obtained by all of the video uploads on his channel currently sits at 111,624,798. It's a fantastic stat for an entertainer that turned 81 years of age a couple of weeks ago on January 24th.

I'll bet there will be somebody out there who, upon reading what I just wrote, will feverishly scour YouTube for an entertainer older than Ray and check the combined unique view total of that performer's video uploads and if it's larger than Ray's they'll cheerfully plaster the information all over social media sites just to diminish Ray's total. Childish, yes, but it's speaks to the lengths of what people will do on social media. There are some people who resent Ray's successful career. You may be asking yourselves: Are there people that deliberately resent any kind of success Ray Stevens has? It's sad but true...but there are people out there like that and I'm making that accusation based on years of on-line experience on my part and seeing with my own eyes the kinds of things said about his music and his business decisions on various social media sites.

An example being his 1992 performance of "I Saw Elvis in a U.F.O." which was part of his 1993 VHS, Ray Stevens Live!. The performance was uploaded onto Ray's YouTube channel on June 12, 2013. The reaction, as of this writing, consists of more than 3,700 thumbs up ratings and 105 thumbs down ratings. A hysterical performance, for sure, and highly entertaining but apparently that wasn't the case for 105 people. The video itself has 423,786 unique views as of this writing. There will be those that say "nobody has to like the same style of music...or the same singer..." and that's a perfectly fine statement...but what I'm getting at is there are people who purposely click videos for the sole purpose of thumbing it down or leaving vile comments...or they do both. If you don't like a singer then why access their video content in the first place...but of course I answered that rhetorical question already just before asking it. It gives those with anger a chance to show it off. The deliberate nature of a person thumbing down a video or writing scathing remarks simply because they do not like that artist is something that can't be stopped, unfortunately...along with all the positives that come with the internet there also come the negatives.

Shifting gears...after months of procrastinating I finally got around to clearing some space for my two new record players that I received as Christmas gifts. A couple of my turntables were stolen, pretty much, as part of a complicated family issue revolving around my grandfather's power of attorney and the disappearance of a lot of my items I kept in storage at his house. I managed to retrieve all of my vinyl, my modest collection of TV Guides, and everything else of mine from his house but the two record players came up missing and I've never been able to find them. Anyway...I received two turntables this last Christmas, to replace the two that came up missing, but I had them sitting in their boxes unopened...I hadn't figured out where I'd put them. The wait/procrastination ended this past Friday and I have the turntables out of their boxes and sitting in my room. One of them is close to the desk I'm sitting at and another is close to my bedroom door. I have the one near the bedroom door sitting on top of a couple of crates...the crates contain the vinyl albums and vinyl singles I've purchased over the years. Those items had been sitting next to my desk on a stand...and so with the relocation of the vinyl items into the crates it created space for the other record player. I listened to Collector's Series this morning. Yes...I just had to play a Ray Stevens album to break in the new record player with. The compilation album of eight songs that RCA issued in 1985...so that particular collection is 35 this year. It's the only compilation to spotlight some of the recordings he issued on RCA Records during his tenure with them. He signed with them late in 1979 and ultimately released three studio albums on the label in 1980, 1981, and 1982; followed by a Greatest Hits album in 1983. The 1983 release only featured two recordings from his RCA period, "Shriner's Convention" and "The Dooright Family", while the remaining eight songs spanned the years 1968 through 1975...so it wasn't necessarily dominated with RCA recordings...but Collector's Series continues to remain the definitive collection of his RCA recordings. One of my new record players appears in this photo. The lid doesn't lift up all the way which perhaps is a good thing...like the hood of a car if you want the lid to remain open you lift the lid and then prop the second half of the attachment into a designated space on the first half of the attachment and it acts like a lock and it keeps the lid opened. I hadn't played anything on the other record player near my desk, yet. That'll come later today and yes it'll be another of my vinyl Ray Stevens albums holding the distinction of being the first thing played on that record player, too.

Me and one of my new Record Players: 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...