February 26, 2021

Ray Stevens audio clip: "I Can't Stop Loving You"

The ballad side of Ray Stevens comes into full display on Great Country Ballads. I've written several blog entries promoting the album leading up to it's release date (today) and I've written commentary on several social media sites throughout the afternoon. In my previous blog entry I provided my review of the collection. I looked over some of the things I wrote and, as always, I found things I dwelled on too much and other things I didn't give enough spotlight to. I chose the photo of Ray to capture the overall serious mood of the brand new album. One of the things that, in hindsight, was important to do from a marketing standpoint was not emphasize that it would be a traditional country music album. The album's title doesn't specifically suggest there's going to be 'classic country' arrangements backing these recordings...it's simply an album of love ballads that originated in country music but performed in a completely different way by the legendary Ray Stevens. I found out that Denis Solee is the saxophonist heard on these recordings. He's usually the one on mostly all of Ray's albums. He appears on Ray's CabaRay Nashville television show, too, and so I should have just assumed it was him but I wanted to be accurate. Since it's a digital album there aren't any credits for musicians or the engineer. The songwriter and publisher credits are visible on digital downloads, though. The image below is a promotional banner advertising that the new digital album is now available. It's not an image link to an online store! Almost 10 years ago I used a banner advertisement for Ray's Encyclopedia of Recorded Comedy Music on most of my blog entries and on social media sites I was often asked why the banner wasn't linked to Ray's online webstore. So, before anyone clicks the image, it isn't a link to any online store. It's just a promotional banner for the digital album. 


Ray's been working on these albums for a number of years. If you have Ray's 2014 memoir, Ray Stevens' Nashville, he made mention of two of the albums in that memoir...they were a work in progress. The albums had been in the planning and development stage for more than 6 years and, at last, they're starting to see the light of day. Ray will release 3 more digital albums over the next three months...one new album per month (March, April, and May). In June a box set will be released with all 4 digital albums available in CD format. Curb Records, as mentioned in a previous blog entry, has uploaded the audio clips from the album onto YouTube. The album is on Ray's Spotify page and you can find it on all the digital music stores. I purchased mine on Amazon. This isn't an official audio clip from Ray's YouTube channel...instead it's one of the audio clips on YouTube provided by Curb Records. It's Ray's rendition of "I Can't Stop Loving You". That song is a classic...having been recorded by it's songwriter, Don Gibson, as well as Ray Charles in addition to Conway Twitty and hundreds of recording artists. Ray Stevens brings a different arrangement to the iconic song as only he can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...