February 22, 2021

Ray Stevens: "Great Country Ballads" almost here...

It's me once again!! We're getting closer to release date of the first of four brand new albums from Ray Stevens! Great Country Ballads is scheduled to become available as a digital download this coming Friday February 26th! I don't know if the music will become available as soon as it turns Midnight or if it'll be released during traditional business hours on Friday (anywhere between 9am to 5pm). I know the last time Ray had a digital download released, "The Quarantine Song", back in December 2020, on-line sites didn't have it available for several hours into it's release day. I recall being frustrated at the time because the music was suppose to be available on release day and yet it wasn't...it didn't become available for purchase until mid-morning/early afternoon on release day. So, with that in mind, I'm going to assume when Great Country Ballads is released, it won't immediately become available on-line.

In my previous blog entry I provided a track list of what's going to be on this first release. Some of the songs include "City Lights", "Please Help Me I'm Falling", and "Till I Get It Right". Curb Records, if you remember, will release one digital album per month on Ray through the next couple of months. After the release of this album, there will be some publicity for it, and then in March the follow-up album will get released, Melancholy Fescue. In April comes the Slow Dance digital album and then in May, Nouveau Retro, comes along. In June all four albums will be released in one CD box set collection. Some may ask why will there be a Box Set release in June? Some may ask why not release all four of them now rather than issue one per month? I prefer what they're doing as if that's a surprise to anyone reading. The four albums are being issued digitally because, let's face it, most consumers purchase music over the internet and so having the music available digitally on release day is the right thing to do. Now then...once all four albums have been issued individually, there will be a box set issued in June. This is when the CD copies of those digital download albums become available. As I pointed out in a previous blog entry I prefer CD copies over digital downloads...but I'm not going to wait until June for CD's to become available. Have you seen Ray's Facebook post where he offered a small snippet of one of the songs from this download? It was posted back on the 19th (this past Friday). In this post he also provided commentary about the upcoming Great Country Ballads project: "Being from the South I got a heavy dose of country music and that's the reason for this collection I call Great Country Ballads. These songs are truly iconic songs of the 20th century, back when radio was the primary way people got their music. The big sellers were songs like "Please Help Me I'm Falling" by Hank Locklin, "Big Bouquet of Roses" by Eddie Arnold, and "Your Cheating Heart" by Hank Williams. These songs and the original recordings touched people. They sure made an impression on me and I hope my renditions of them will touch something in you too. It's not my attempt to try to improve them by any means, it's just me paying tribute in my unique way to the gift of truly ballads that I received 'over the air ways' as I was growing up. These songs are in many ways..."the soundtrack" of my life".

Since I'm on a computer I'll be downloading the digital albums and then, later on, I'll be purchasing the CD box set. I've seen several people on his social media sites asking why there's even going to be digital downloads...they ask: why not just release them as CD's? Well, to go back to what I was just saying, a majority of people purchase music on-line and so it simply makes more sense to release music through the preferred method, first, and then issue the music in other formats later for collectors. When I purchase digital music on Amazon it goes to my Amazon music library. In case I failed to say it... Great Country Ballads is almost here!! February 26th!! I'll be reviewing it as soon as I'm finished listening to it. Is it the 26th yet??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...