September 22, 2024

Ray Stevens: My "Boom Boom Gentlemen's Club" Review...

Well, well, well.. here I am once again and I'm finally posting my review of the most recent Ray Stevens recording, "Boom-Boom Gentlemen's Club". I wrote the review back on September 13th, the day the song became available for order/download. It was not published on the internet until nearly a week later. If I recall correctly the review was published on September 19th but when you visit Amazon's product page for the digital single you'll see September 13th as the publish date since it's that date I submitted the review. 

As I had assumed back on the 13th this photo of Ray is indeed the publicity photo being used on the various online/streaming music sites to promote the newest release. This is the review I posted over on Amazon. As a long time fan of Ray Stevens I eagerly anticipate each new release from him. I've been a fan for decades... going back to the mid to late 1980s. The eye catching title of his recent recording, "The Boom-Boom Gentlemen's Club", had me curious to how the overall song would sound. I was thinking to myself how that title would be worked into a song and sure enough Ray found a way! The song, written by Ray and another writer, Nick Sibley, is a very lively story of a woman named Ida and her double life at a gentlemen's club in Tulsa where she goes by the name of Tassie. There's some irony and a twist ending, of sorts, so it's best to pay close attention as the mile a minute lyrics come at you. As said it's a lively song but it's also very up-tempo. I listened to it 3 times before I was able to take in all of the activity taking place within the lyrics of the song. It's a very entertaining comedy song and the energetic harmonica lends itself to the sound that Ray was apparently going for. This comedy song, as far as I know, is going to be one of the songs on an as yet to be released Ray Stevens album. I don't know if the album will be issued by the end of 2024 or not

When you listen to the song yourselves you're going to love it as much as I did. The twist ending, which I intentionally kept vague in my review on the 13th, has to do with Dakota telling Ida that she looks like a woman at the gentlemen's club. Ida's reaction upon hearing this gives her the courage, perhaps, to give him a piece of her mind, angry at him for being there in the first place. You can listen to the song by way of this YouTube embed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...