June 9, 2019

Ray Stevens: CMA Festivities and Functions...

Did you all catch the recent airing of Ray Stevens CabaRay Nashville on RFD-TV earlier tonight? It was an edited/re-worked version of the premiere episode which featured Steve Wariner as the special guest. The series continues to air in local syndication on PBS stations across the country, too. The photo of Ray off to the left is from inside the CabaRay showroom in West Nashville. In my previous blog entry I wrote about a private luncheon that was held for Ray and his friends and family back on May 30th. The luncheon took place at the CMA Theater and I provided a link to one of Ray's social media pages. The photo album on that site shows the activity from Ray's appearance at CMA Fest this past June 6th. I also made reference to a photo taken during the May 30th luncheon. I can only identify five of the twelve people in the photo, however. I'm assuming those that I don't recognize visually are other members of his family or business associates/staff members. I came across a webpage highlighting the luncheon and I left a comment over there. It's one of those sites where the administrator has to approve a comment before publishing and you can visit that site by clicking HERE. As usual I copy most of my comments just in case, for whatever reason, they fail to make an appearance on their intended website and so here's the comment I made...

"Even though I’m a huge fan of Ray Stevens I’ve never been a fan of the lengthy waiting period for newly elected members to receive their plaque and other credentials that come along with being a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame. In the past the newly elected members were not announced in a news release, instead, the performers were contacted privately by the CMA and then the official induction would take place on the nationally televised CMA Awards. Perhaps 10 or so years ago the privately held Medallion Ceremony was created to replace the nationally televised inductions of the Hall of Fame members. The gap between election to formal induction remains the same…half a year or more. This year’s members were announced back in March but they won’t be formally inducted until October. Looking at the photo I obviously see Ray Stevens and I can detect Don Cusic (in the red striped shirt) and Buddy Kalb the third from left in the back row. Down front is Ray’s grandson (who, in this photo, looks like NFL quarterback Andrew Luck). Seated to Ray’s left is one of his daughters. I don’t know the identities of the other people in the photo."

As of this writing the comment hasn't appeared on their website yet but, nevertheless, I've copied/pasted it above. When you click the webpage link in the opening paragraph you'll see the photo from the luncheon. The photo has made it's way around the various social media sites by this point. As you can see from the comment it's a little on the critical side when it comes to the election/induction process...but I don't think it's too harsh or anything. I've simply never understood why there's such a lengthy waiting period between election and formal induction when it comes to the Country Music Hall of Fame...or any hall of fame for that matter. It doesn't mean I dislike the process...I've just never understood the reasoning behind it.

Well, now, here's a little bit of breaking news...as I'm putting together this blog entry I was browsing the internet in another tab and I came across an article published on a webpage called Newhillbilly. I was mistaken about the man in the red striped shirt. It looked like Don Cusic but yet Newhillbilly identifies him as Ben Surratt. I didn't think it was him, though, or else I wouldn't have said Don Cusic upon first glance with such confidence. Anyway, though, Don wears glasses...oh well. I'm allowed to make a mistake every now and then (where's the embarrassed emoticon when you need it?).

Ben Surratt and Ray Stevens 2019
Ben is one of Ray's studio musicians and he doubles as the engineer. He also oversees the technical aspects of the CabaRay Nashville television series. You can visit the Newhillbilly site and see the photo with the people identified by clicking HERE. I was familiar with some of the names but didn't know what they looked like until now. The above photo I captioned to highlight it being from earlier this year at the CabaRay showroom. I have another photo in my on-line archives of Ray and Ben from a couple of years ago...inside Ray's former recording studio which was recently demolished on Grand Avenue...

Ray Stevens and Ben Surratt 2017
Don Cusic
Now, for those curious, Don Cusic appeared on early episodes of CabaRay Nashville as the Professor of Music. Don, in addition to being a real college professor, is the author of dozens of books and he's been part of the music industry for decades even though I've only recently become aware of him through his connections with Ray Stevens. It turns out that Ray's known of Don Cusic for decades, too, but only recently have their names become linked together for several projects. He helped author Ray's memoir, Ray Stevens' Nashville, in 2014. A couple of years earlier he wrote the liner notes/essay contained within Ray's 9-CD box set, The Encyclopedia of Recorded Comedy Music. I posted several photos of the box set and the essay booklet in a blog entry from March 2012 titled 'Ray Stevens 9-CD Box Set: My Review'. You can find it, of course, in the blog archive section on the right hand side of the blog page. Click 2012 and search the blog post titles from March and you'll find it. On earlier episodes of CabaRay Nashville Ray would perform songs from the encyclopedia which were preceded by pre-recorded introductions from Don Cusic wearing a graduate's gown to emphasize Don being a professor of music. Don also lent his pen to some of Ray's recent gospel recordings...the most notable being "If Jesus is a Stranger" from 2014's The Gospel Collection, Volume One. I say it's the most notable because it's the song that Ray performed quite a few times on various television programs and spoke highly about in interviews from that time period. It's easy to see, from my eyes at least, why I initially thought Don Cusic was wearing the red striped shirt in the CMA Luncheon photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...