September 7, 2019

Ray Stevens: The 8th Annual Jerry Reed Celebration...

The tickets for this annual event went on sale back in July but I have not come across any social media posts stating that's it's been officially sold out and so I'm writing this blog post as something of an advertisement for The 8th Annual Jerry Reed Celebration. The event was held at Ray's CabaRay showroom last September and this year it's returning to the CabaRay on September 18th. You can find out the information by clicking this LINK. The link takes you to the Facebook page promoting the September 18th tribute show.

The Ray Stevens Charity Golf Classic, as mentioned in a previous blog entry, will take place over a two, non-consecutive day, time frame. The first day of the event is October 13th and the second day of the event is October 21st. This charity golf event began in 2016 and so this marks the fourth annual golf game at Temple Hills Country Club in Franklin, Tennessee. This is a link to my BLOG entry filled with all the details surrounding the golf event. I'll be working on a couple of blog entries over the course of this weekend...both of them will be part of the Road to the Country Music Hall of Fame mini-blog series I've been putting together since last month...earlier this morning I posted Part Twelve. The upcoming blog entry will highlight the early years of Ray's direction into the world of country comedy.

In the meantime have you seen the vintage commercial starring Ray Stevens for Flav-O-Rich? This is the third commercial for the company that Ray's uploaded onto YouTube. The first commercial he uploaded shown him as a 'little kid' sitting on oversized furniture eating a very large bowl of ice cream. The second commercial had him in the kitchen reaching into the refrigerator for a gallon of milk and getting more than he bargained for. This commercial has clean-shaven Ray Stevens in a decidedly country environment making his way from a bridge to a dairy aisle in the middle of a field.



The company at one time was referred to as Farm Best and then at some point in the late '70s it's name was changed to Flav-O-Rich. I don't know if this was a name change brought about by some marketing team or if Farm Best was at one time a dairy company bought out by an entity known as Flav-O-Rich. I don't know the history of the company, admittedly, but I know through research over the years that Ray Stevens was a spokesman once upon a time and thankfully three of his commercials for the company have made their way to YouTube. Oh I hope there's even more to come!!

Ray Stevens: 1977/1978
As we see in the screen cap above a clean-shaven and casually dressed Ray Stevens is in the process of telling us about Flav-O-Rich. I'm thinking Ray wrote the jingle heard in all of the commercials for Flav-O-Rich and before that, Farm Best.

I usually take screen caps from a lot of the video material that Ray uploads. I'd say 95 percent of the imagery I never post in public forums or in this fan created blog but I send them to several on-line friends that share an appreciation for all things Ray Stevens as I do. I grabbed some screen caps from that commercial. In my way of thinking the commercial was taped at some point in 1977 or mid 1978.

I don't believe Ray ever appeared in public, either on TV or in concerts, clean-shaven after mid 1978. I could be wrong but I think the commercial was taped early in 1978 and aired for a year or more on local television. I say this because of a comment I seen on social media from someone stating that they remember seeing the commercial in 1979. This wouldn't be highly unusual considering that when I was a kid in the 1980s and early 1990s the local television stations were airing commercials shot in the early 1980s featuring Nancy Walker, as Rosie, for Bounty paper towels and Dick Wilson, as Mr. Whipple, for Charmin, etc. etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...