March 31, 2020

Ray Stevens: 45 at 55...

Hello all Ray Stevens fans!! As the title of this blog entry shows I'm going to spotlight a recording by Ray Stevens from 1965/1966. Technically the single was released commercially in the spring of 1966 and so it's 54 as of this writing but there's a single release of "Make a Few Memories" in the United Kingdom, on the London American Recordings label, that shows 1965 as the year it was issued...even though I'm pretty sure the year credited on the UK single release is meant as a reference to the label design/color scheme of the actual paper sleeve on the vinyl rather than the actual year of commercial release. The song and it's B-side, "Devil May Care", were uploaded onto YouTube today. I've shared these songs on here in blog's past but they're within the archives here. In previous blog entries I shared the imagery associated with their U.S. release on Monument Records but this time around the video clip uses the United Kingdom single release.



The A-side and B-side come from the pen of Joe South. If you know your Ray Stevens history you'll know that Ray was associated with a lot of recording artists within the Bill Lowery umbrella. Ray played on recording sessions, arranged the music heard on those records, and sometimes wrote songs for a number of those recording acts. Joe South was one of those recording artists...as was Billy Joe Royal, Jerry Reed, and Tommy Roe. If you look at the single release you'll see Lowery Music credited as song publisher. I'm somewhat curious as to the upside down number printed above the single's catalog number. When you look at the single the catalog number is HLU-10027 but directly above this, upside down, is: MSCM 7478. I didn't ask about that over on the YouTube page. I may ask about it if I don't find out on my own why it's written upside down.

The B-side I've embedded below...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...