March 8, 2020

Ray Stevens: One Year Ago this Month...

The exact month, date, and year was March 18, 2019 but I decided to compose a fan created blog entry a bit early...looking back one year ago this month...the day that brought the news that the Country Music Hall of Fame had elected Ray Stevens to be one of it's newest members. The Class of 2019 included Ray Stevens, Brooks and Dunn, and record producer Jerry Bradley. The news will break later this month on the Class of 2020 and it's anyone's guess, as it is every year, of who will be elected.

Ray Stevens, Kyle Young, and Ralph Emery.
In the photo off to the left we see Ray Stevens, CEO Kyle Young, and Ralph Emery from October 2019 during the night of the official induction of Ray Stevens into the Country Music Hall of Fame. Ralph Emery was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2007 and in 2010 the National Radio Hall of Fame. The press release of who's been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame is revealed in March while the induction ceremony takes place each October. I remember vividly what I was doing and where I was the morning of March 18, 2019. I had known that the latest class of inductees were to be announced by radio disc jockey, Bill Cody, and I had thought about skipping the news release...that is I thought about going to bed that morning rather than watch and hear that Ray Stevens wasn't among those being honored. I can't explain what it was but something made me watch the on-line presentation...and as soon as Bill remarked that this recording artist was born in Clarkdale, Georgia I couldn't believe my ears. The more Bill spoke the more I hung onto his words...the build-up was intense, at least for me, and once he officially announced the election of Ray Stevens into the Country Music Hall of Fame it felt like an 800 pound gorilla had been lifted off our shoulders (the word 'our' being a reference to Ray Stevens fans in general). In the Medallion Ceremony it was Ralph Emery performing the induction...presenting Ray with a medallion and unveiling the plaque alongside Kyle Young. In the presentation speech Ralph mentioned that he'd been lobbying the Country Music Hall of Fame for a period of years in the hopes that Ray would, at some point, receive enough votes/support from the anonymous voters within the country music community and get elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame.

A little bit of history/trivia: Once upon a time there used to be segments of the CMA Awards telecast in which the Country Music Hall of Fame inductions were presented, usually at the surprise of the recipient, but in the years since the creation of the private Medallion Ceremony there's been little coverage, if any, on the nationally aired CMA Awards. I bring this up in my blog entries a lot because I do miss the national attention that the Country Music Hall of Fame used to receive through it's annual presentations on the CMA Awards. The producers of the awards show, as far as I know through what I've researched and read, felt that the Hall of Fame segments slowed down the pace of the show and celebrated performers that a 'modern audience' probably never heard of. In my way of thinking the Hall of Fame segments were educational and helped introduce artists to viewers that perhaps never heard of them...but that kind of thinking was obviously not the majority opinion among the television producers of the CMA Awards. I think the Medallion Ceremony is great...so don't let my little rant about the lack of Hall of Fame coverage on the CMA Awards dampen your mood...and I think the Medallion Ceremony adds more prestige to the process. The news release each year of who's been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame, as well as the October Medallion Ceremony, receives a lot of national and international coverage all over the internet...so, no, it's lack of presence on the CMA Awards telecast hasn't diminished interest in the Hall of Fame in any kind of way...each and every year the fan base of whatever recording artist who hasn't yet been elected complains while the fan base of whatever recording artist finally gets elected celebrates...so, yes, there's still major interest in the Country Music Hall of Fame or else there wouldn't be any emotional responses whatsoever.

A couple of days from now, March 10th, Ralph Emery will reach 87. Born March 10, 1933 as Walter Ralph Emery in McEwen, Tennessee the life and career of Ralph Emery is legendary within country music. I plan on putting together a blog entry focusing on Ralph's interactions with Ray Stevens. I may include whatever video content is available or just use images/collages. Ray is one of the few recording artists to have been a guest on every national and syndicated radio and television series Ralph has ever hosted. I hadn't decided if I'll write the blog later tonight or just wait until March 10th. I'd prefer to write it sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...