September 1, 2020

Ray Stevens audio clip: "Punk Country Love"...

Oh hello once again!! As we step into September I start off the month by announcing that it looks as if I'm on pace to match or go past my all-time blog entry total in a given year. I've been actively writing this fan created Ray Stevens blog page since 2008 and it was 2010 that seen me write 212 individual blog entries. I hadn't cracked the 200 number since. I looked over at the statistics and seen that this blog entry is my 195th of the year!! This being September it means I'll more than likely match 212 and go beyond that this year. If you do the math it means that 17 additional blog entries after this one puts me at a tie with 212...the 18th blog entry will give me 213 for the year and enable 2020 to surpass 2010 as having the most fan created blog entries.

Now...on we go with the focus of this blog entry: a 1985 recording by Ray Stevens titled "Punk Country Love". It comes from the pen of Ray Stevens, Buddy Kalb, and Carlene Kalb and originally appeared on the 1985 album, I Have Returned. The song was issued as the B-side of his single, "The Haircut Song". The B-side may perhaps be one of the most lyrically nutty novelty songs Ray has ever recorded as he sings about a rural couple who discover the wild punk life in San Francisco while looking through a magazine the husband found along the side of the road.

The husband (later revealed to be named Eugene) tells his wife, Junie May, that he's become inspired by all of this punk rock stuff and they, too, need to embrace the punk lifestyle so he goes through a list of things they'll need to do in order to accomplish the task. One of the things he suggests is getting his teeth chrome plated and for fun they should staple the chickens together, stick safety pins in the sow, snort boiled okra...and all kinds of other hysterical things in an attempt to go punk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...