January 1, 2021

Ray Stevens: Hello 2021...

Oh let me be among the many that have said hello 2021 and goodbye 2020!! My first blog entry of the New Year finds me browsing over my on-line collection of Ray Stevens photos. I'd also like to take a moment to make it clear that this is a fan created blog page devoted to all things Ray Stevens. I write it and put it all together. I am not affiliated with Ray's inner circle even though you'll find my commentary on several social media sites that the Ray Stevens staff operate. I'd also like to mention that this is a blog page with a appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens. Some sites out there may feature a song or two from Ray that they found on YouTube but no blog out there is this detailed or this specific. Also, if you're new to this blog, if you read my other blog entries over the years you'll come to the realization rather quickly that this isn't a critical blog page. Appreciation, respect, love, admiration, and enthusiasm for Ray's music is a top priority here...as is my desire to provide detailed, accurate information about his career and music. If you're wanting to read hateful and horrible things directed at Ray or if you're wanting to make fun of his music, show him disrespect and be dismissive, and, or, engage in troll-like behavior then this blog isn't for you! On the other hand...if you love the music of Ray Stevens and are entertained by his choice of songs and his folksy, down-home demeanor then this blog is for you! If you only know the names of a couple of songs or have heard things about Ray but you want to find out more information then this blog is for you! 

The pictorial time-line that runs along side the blog page features years I've chosen at random. There are a lot of gaps between years...I decided to compile the time-line in that fashion, deliberately, because I didn't want every single year represented by a photo. Search the archives (dating back to 2008) and you're bound to find everything you ever wanted to know about the legendary Ray Stevens. I have zero patience with those who dislike Ray Stevens. I'm sure anyone reading this isn't surprised by that statement. He's a very good entertainer, most definitely you know him as a singer but yet he's also a highly skilled musician, a music arranger, record producer, music publisher, and comedian...and after reading all of that if you still don't think he is versatile then you don't know the definition of versatile.

I don't think Ray will make any kind of announcement of new music on the way, yet. It's January 1, 2021 and so I think whatever project he'll be putting out this year will turn up in the not too distant future. I think he might issue something new...either an album or a music video...no later than spring. Like a lot of you I get excited about every new release from Ray Stevens...and once official word comes along that something's going to get released the excitement turns into desire.  

The pandemic defined 2020...and nearly 2.7 million have seen "The Quarantine Song" music video that Ray Stevens released on YouTube. The exact unique view count is 2,691,121. The Country Music Hall of Fame member later issued an Mp3 of the song through Curb Records. In 1974 a lot of historians like to say that was the year of streaking. "The Streak" sold five million copies for Ray Stevens worldwide...and the streaking fad is forever linked to Ray's 1974 song. On a more serious note a global pandemic created it's share of pop-culture reaction in 2020 and at the center of it, as far as this blog is concerned, is the one and only Ray Stevens with "The Quarantine Song"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...